Thread: Error "Windows could not start because Isapnp.sys is missing or corrupt"

Error "Windows could not start because Isapnp.sys is missing or corrupt"

One of my friend is using Windows Xp operating system and is having some serious issue with the same system. From yesterday, he is just not able to start his computer. Whenever he boot up the computer, it shows an error saying, "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:\windows\System32\Drivers\Isapnp.sys" and stuck up there.

Could you guys please help us out of this error, please ?

Re: Error "Windows could not start because Isapnp.sys is missing or corrupt"

This issue may occur if the Isapnp.sys file is damaged or is not present in the path that the error message specifies. Fix the error by restoring the Isapnp.sys file from a recovery console. Use the following steps to open a command prompt environment:

• Turn on the PC and press the F8 key repeatedly when the first screen appears.
    • The Windows advanced options menu appears.
    • Use the Up and Down Arrow and Enter keys to select Return to OS choices .
    • Select Microsoft Windows Recovery Console .
      • Turn on the PC, and press the F10 key repeatedly at the first screen.
      • At the Recovery screen, click Advanced Options .
      • Press the Alt + D keys at the same time to open a command prompt window and skip to step 5.
    • When the login prompt appears, press the number next to the windows version (minint or Windows) and type the logon password. Try pressing Enter if you do not know the password.
    • At the command prompt, type the following: diskpart
    • Press Enter , do one the following:
      • If a table of volume names appears, remember the drive letter next to the main drive volume name and press the Esc key.
      • If a diskpart prompt appears, type list volume , press Enter , remember the drive letter next to the main drive volume name, type exit when done, and then press Enter .

Dr. V Guest

To replace the Isapnp.sys file in Windows XP, follow these steps:
    1. Start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
    2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to start Recovery Console.
    3. If you have a dual-boot or a multiple-boot computer, type the number that corresponds to your Windows XP installation when you are prompted to select the Windows installation to log on to, and then press ENTER.
    4. When you are prompted for the Administrator password, type the password, and then press ENTER.
    5. At the C:\Windows prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
      Code:
      ren c:\windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys isapnp.old
    6. At the C:\Windows prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
      Code:
      expand cd-romdrive:\i386\isapnp.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys
    7. After the file is successfully expanded, type exit, and then press ENTER to exit Recovery Console.
    8. Restart the computer.

If you get the said error, then it’s likely that you’ve a corrupted file. You can also use the following steps to find and replace the missing file from the command prompt environment:

Type the following at the command prompt:
    cd X:\i386 (where X is the main drive letter)

Press Enter and type the following at the command prompt:
    expand isapnp.sy_ X:\windows\system32\drivers (where X is the main drive letter)

Press Enter and type the following at the command prompt:
    exit

Press Enter and the computer restarts without the error.

idea Re: Error "Windows could not start because Isapnp.sys is missing or corrupt"

Hi there,

I may help you with this, because I have solved similar problem.
    I downloaded "Hiren's Boot CD". I burnt the ISO to a CD, booted from it and lunched the Mini XP.
    In Mini Windows I went to the C:\Windows\System32\drivers directory and renamed all files that had a size of 0 kB.
    I think you may delete them as well. Anyway, after this action I just removed the boot CD from my drive and rebooted as usual. And everything is OK for now...

I hope it helps, I wish you good luck!
    Furthermore, I found this solution
    I just still don't know why that error happened.

hey
    i got the same problem right now
    i type in
    ren c:\windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys isapnp.old
    and wen i press entre is says
    The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable
    so then i type
    expand cd-romdrive:\i386\isapnp.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys
    then it says
    cant open input file: cd-romdrive:\i386\isapnp.sy_.