Thread: Power Macintosh 6500 Freezes at Startup

Power Macintosh 6500 Freezes at Startup

Hi,

I have a Power Macintosh 6500 Macintosh running Mac OS 7.6.1. Recently I was troubleshooting some of my extensions using the Extensions Manager. Now, when I start my computer, mouse freezes on Starting Mac OS screen. Can anyone help me !!!

Re: Power Macintosh 6500 Freezes at Startup

Power Macintosh 6500 computers can have an internal modem card installed in slot Geoport communications. The 20th Anniversary Macintosh ships with a modem external Geoport, however, this equipment can accept CS II comm slot card into the slot of the Board of communication for the Ethernet or modem.

The modem card Geoport depends on a shared library in the Extensions folder called "Serial (Built-in)". If this shared library is disabled in the Extensions Manager or removed from the extensions folder, users can experience a system freeze at boot before loading any extensions appear.

To avoid Freezes at Startup problem, users reboot with extensions off (holding down the shift key at startup) and make sure that this shared library is present in the Extensions folder. If the library is missing or has been deleted, users can re-install this software from the CD system software at the custom install of Open Transport Networking & Connectivity section.

The problem was thought corruption drive, boot from Norton Utilities and Tech Tool Pro CD's, the machines in question were examined. There are serious errors in any of the machines were never found, let alone machines operated normally when you run out of (the CD without freezing). Restarting again out of the hard drive after the examination gave no solution, only freeze the machines again. We also noticed that the computer would freeze even if extensions disabled during startup.