Thread: Mac Like Linux Operating System

Mac Like Linux Operating System

Hello. I have been a Mac User and am fairly new to Linux. I want to switch to Linux so that i can use this old Mac of mine. Which is the best Mac Like Linux Operating System which i can get to download. This would help me getting used to linux faster... Then i will switch to Ubuntu... Thanks!

Re: Mac Like Linux Operating System

You can directly use Ubuntu. Its a noob friendly Linux OS with Gnome Desktop Environment and is easy to setup and use. Well this is the best Linux you can start with. Ubuntu Linux is also referred to any new Linux user. I would also recommend you the same. Ubuntu Linux was the first Linux i had used and is the Linux OS i'm using currently...

gOS is a mac like Linux OS based on ubuntu. gOS or "good OS" is an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution created by 'Good OS LLC', a Los Angeles-based corporation. Its CIO Dave Liu described that after meeting Enlightenment and open source people he realized that his dream to bring Web 2.0 applications into mainstream use could be realized by creating a Linux distribution that made it easy for users to access Google and other Web 2.0 applications. See screenshot :

You can also go for MacPup. It is a mac like linux based on Puppy linux. Macpup Opera 061 is the latest is based on Ttuuxxx's 4.2v2 Deeper thought (2.6.25.16), a "no Bling" version of puppylinux 4.2 with all of the current updates. It has dbus 1.2.4 compiled and installed from source and the Enlightenment e17 desktop version 0.16.999.061 compiled and installed from source with the updated version of librsvg 2.26.0 .Opera061 includes lots of the e17 extra modules like Flame,Rain,Snow & Penguins and lots of extra shelf modules like Net,Tclock, Moon. Some of the shelf modules like Cpu and Weather are unstable and may crash. Also included is the Opera 9.64 browser compiled by Ttuuxxx.Gimp 2.4.6 .Xvidcap and Avidemux are included as .pets, Install them if you want .Works with both Xorg and Xvesa video drivers. Runs all the latest e17 themes and backgrounds. There is an option on the exit menu to switch back to jwm, if required. Once again as with all our e17 pups use the exit icon on the desktop to shutdown or reboot.

There are many Mac like Linux OS. Some are Predefined and precompiled to give you a mac look and some i guess all the rest can be customized to look like mac. Here are two more Mac like Linux OS : The First Image represents ELive E17 and the rest are images for Dreamlinux.

ELive and Dreamlinux

See screen shots for both :