Thread: AIRTEL GPRS setting for Ubuntu 9.04

AIRTEL GPRS setting for Ubuntu 9.04

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 as my operating system. Recently i had changed my mobile network service. Now i'm using AIRTEL network service on my mobile handset. I'm trying to get GPRS settings for my Ubuntu 9.04, but unfortunately i couldn't succeed. So, can any one provide me the correct AIRTEL GPRS settings for my Ubuntu 9.04? Any one have any idea about it? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: AIRTEL GPRS setting for Ubuntu 9.04

For using Free Internet with Airtel GPRS, you need to make sure that use two mobile browser softwares on your machine. Teashark and UCweb are the best two mobile browser softwares. Teashrk is Sony Ericsson’s native mobile browser , but can be used in almost all Java supported mobile devices . UCweb is another popular mobile browser.

I am using ubuntu and Nokia 6630 phone with Airtel Connection, but this will work with any distribution and any bluetooth capable phone. Here is a quick run through for setting up GPRS connection on Ubuntu. For that first you need to configure pppd default ip address to which you want the GPRS connection to be binded. However unplugging/plugging it a couple of times sorted it out. Unlike the CDMA modems, it also requires an access point name. This can be done by editing /etc/ppp/options file. Then you need to add the following line to it via vi or other file editing tool. Now, make the required changes to /etc/wvdial.conf as mentioned below.

Note: You can get this file generated by connecting the phone via usb and then running sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf on console. Ensure that USB mode is set to “Modem”

Following is the correct way for setting that you need to do. Once all this is done, you’re ready to get online by typing the following command.
    [Dialer Defaults]
    Init1 = ATZ
    Init2 = AT&FE0V1&C1S0=0
    Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”airtelgprs.com”
    Modem Type = USB Modem
    ISDN = 0
    Phone = *99***2#
    New PPPD = yes
    Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
    Username = airtel
    Password = airtel
    Baud = 460800
    Idle Seconds = 3000
    Auto DNS = 1
    Stupid Mode = 1
    Dial Command = ATD
    Ask Password = 0
    FlowControl = NOFLOW

Or for getting free GPRS, please contact your network provide and they will indicate you the necessary steps to take.