Thread: How to use Sysprep on Windows 7

How to use Sysprep on Windows 7

I'm wondering if I can move our deployments from Windows XP to Windows 7. For this I need some help how to use sysprep like XP even if it is using the new xml file. I've been playing around with the RC and attempting to learn how the new version of Sysprep works but didn't find any solution. Has anyone been able to use Sysprep on Windows 7?

Re: How to use Sysprep on Windows 7

Navigate to c:\windows\system32\sysprep on the Windows 7 machine and run that one. But remember to kill the wmpnetwk.exe before starting the sysprep process. And don't forget to mention that this service will be disabled in the sysprepped image.

To prepare a reference computer for Sysprep deployment in Windows XP, follow these steps:

1. On a reference computer, install the operating system and any programs that you want installed on your destination computers.
    2. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    3. At the command prompt, change to the root folder of drive C, and then type md Sysprep.
    4. Insert the Windows XP operating system CD into the appropriate CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then open the Deploy.cab file in the \Support\Tools folder.
    5. Copy the Sysprep.exe file and the Setupcl.exe file to the Sysprep folder.
    6. Remove the Windows XP operating system CD.
    7. At the command prompt, type cd Sysprep to change to the Sysprep folder.
    8. To run the Sysprep tool, type the following command at the command prompt:
    Sysprep /optional parameter
    9. Microsoft recommends that after you run the Sysprep.exe file on a reference computer, isolate the reference computer from the local network where the image will be subsequently deployed to avoid any NetBIOS conflicts. This permits the Sysprep tool to complete the Setup program, join the domain that is specified, and use the new computer name that is specified in the Sysprep.inf answer file.

For further details visit: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577

I think you take a look at the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010. Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010 provides a common console with the comprehensive tools and guidance needed to efficiently manage deployment of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010 is the recommended process and toolset to automate desktop and server deployment. When you finished creating the distribution share you can edit customsettings.ini to prompt for the computer name during installation.