Thread: Error 0x000006d9 on a shared printer in Windows 7

Error 0x000006d9 on a shared printer in Windows 7

I am currently testing a version of RTM Windows 7 Pro 64bit, and I am having problems with printer sharing.

When I enable sharing, I get an error 0x000006d9 consistently, regardless of the printer to be shared (tested with PDF, XPS, HP parallel and USB).

Here's what I did, and I still have the same concerns:

- Restarting the spooler
    - Stopped firewall
    - Audit fees for shares in the advanced sharing options (share file and printer turned on)
    - Windows Update

All in vain, I did not try to install the manufacturer driver, but I guess it does not come from it, if not I would not worry about all the printers ...
    Besides the firewall, I have not changed the config, because the transition in a field 2003 automatically activates all necessary network settings to share (I have not checked but it seems that basic is disabled).

Do you have an idea about the problem?
    Thanks

Re: Error 0x000006d9 on a shared printer in Windows 7

To troubleshoot the issue, I suggest we perform the following steps.

Suggestion 1:Temporary disable Windows Firewall service

=========================

a. Click "Start", go to run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and press Enter.

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

b. Right click the "Windows Firewall" service and choose Properties.

c. Click "Startup type" option and click "Disabled".

d. Click OK and share the printer again.

If the issue persists, please proceed to the following steps.

Suggestion 2: Verify Network settings

=========================

a. Click start and click Control Panel.

b. Double click Network and Sharing Center.

c. Select "Change advanced sharing settings" option in the right panel.

d. Please turn on "Network discovery" and "File and printer sharing".

However, if the error message still occurs, I recommend to reinstall the printer driver and reset the Printer Spooler for a test.

For your reference, we can refer to the link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000007

I think that you have not marked the printer on Windows 7 as shared? Did you delete the printer and then re-establish the printer from the XP machine? Try: Right-click on printer icon, Printer properties, Sharing tab. Have you tried deleting, re-booting, and re-installing the printer?
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

1) On YOUR computer (W7) allow the Printer to be shared - also enable firewalls if using. Create the printer SHARE NAME that the XP machine will see -- say TESTPRINTER. Try sharing a disk as well to ensure the XP machine can access your W7 machine in the first place.

2) on the XP machine can you SEE the W7 shared folders. (while testing kill all firewalls and AV software -- this just complicates matters until you get the base network running.

If you can't run the Network setup wizard on the XP machine which will enable file and print sharing.

Then it should all work.

Try pinging the W7 machine from the XP machine. If that fails then you need to sort Network connectivity first before you can do anything else.

Note the user of the XP machine MUST HAVE an account on the W7 machine before the print share will work. Networking rules are "tighter" on W7.

Source: windows7forums.com

Quote Originally Posted by Agilent View Post
    I am currently testing a version of RTM Windows 7 Pro 64bit, and I am having problems with printer sharing.

When I enable sharing, I get an error 0x000006d9 consistently, regardless of the printer to be shared (tested with PDF, XPS, HP parallel and USB).

Here's what I did, and I still have the same concerns:

- Restarting the spooler
    - Stopped firewall
    - Audit fees for shares in the advanced sharing options (share file and printer turned on)
    - Windows Update

All in vain, I did not try to install the manufacturer driver, but I guess it does not come from it, if not I would not worry about all the printers ...
    Besides the firewall, I have not changed the config, because the transition in a field 2003 automatically activates all necessary network settings to share (I have not checked but it seems that basic is disabled).

Do you have an idea about the problem?
    Thanks
    Hello guys, I just want to share with you what I just did in my network to be able to share a printer that was giving me the same error 0x000006d9 you guys are reading about:

I had EXACTLY the same problem and did EXACTLY the same steps I'm quoting.

The solution is quite simple indeed:
    1.- RE-ENABLE FIREWALL in services in windows 7,
    2.- SHARE the printer the normal way... it must not give any error this time.
    3.- RE-DISABLE FIREWALL in services again and be sure the service is stopped.
    4.- You can now go to the other(s) computer(s) and add the printer that was giving you the 0x000006d9 error.

Hope u guys solve your problem as easily as I did.
    REGARDS.

Never Share Printer In Win 7. Is Win 7 Cant Share Printer,,.Sometime it would be cause of Network Discover mode in Win 7

I have got similar issue in windows 2008 R2 ent. does anyone know how to fix this issue without turning on the windows firewall?

Hey just try this out and see that this is working or not. Hope that this will work for you. Say thanks if it works for you.
    • Disable the Firewall
    • Go to the Run from the Start up menu and run Service.msc
    • It can be prompt for the Administrator Password enter the same
    • Now right click on the Windows Firewall and click on the properties
    • Now click on the Startup type option and click on it to Disabled
    • Now click OK and make the printer share on
    • Verify the setting of the network
    • And it done

You can marked this issue as solved!
    The offending program causing this error is Windows Firewall, here's what you need to do to resolve this issue....
    If like me you have disabled windows firewall, I use Comodo Internet Security, you need to re-enable the Windows firewall in order to share the printer.

If you have disabled or turned off Windows Firewall. (and this error in my case was caused by exactly that and EXACTLY this Error code)
    Step #1 - Disable any other firewall you may have installed. Stop it from loading at boot and restart your PC.

Step #2 - Go to the Admin Tools Folder >> Services >> Windows Firewall >> Double click and either set it to Manual or Automatic and Save.

Step #3 - Open Control Panel >> System & Security >> Windows Firewall >> Turn Windows Firewall On or Off >> (Enable) Turn on Windows Firewall >> Save
    Then go to Restore Defaults >> Click Restore Defaults Button >> Save
    (you only need to do this IF you changed any settings for the firewall, but it's still a good idea and will ensure there are no problems when proceeding)

Step #4 - Click Control Panel Home >> View Devices & Printers >> Select/Click your Printer >> Display Printer Properties >> Sharing >> Share this Printer >> OK

Step #5 - Go Back to Windows Firewall and Turn it back off >> Save

Step #6 - Go Back to Services >> And set Windows Firewall to Manual (or disable if you prefer, I recommend disable to prevent conflicts with preferred firewall you are using.)

Step #7 - Restart & Re-enable your preferred firewall to start at Boot >> Reboot

Check background intelligence transfer service, RPC services, Workstation and Server.
    If not started restart that services.
    Sometimes that would be cause of conflicker. Please run conflicker removing tools and windows security updates.
    Check that u can ping PC that printer install

The steps listed by kokluxe dated Feb 2010 Re: Error 0x000006d9 on a shared printer in Windows 7, was a fix that worked for me. Thank you!