Thread: SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 Migration Problem

SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 Migration Problem

I am having trouble with the migration. The answer file is read correctly. However, the process does not recognize the Source Server Name I give it and I cannot get past this point in the process. The Source Server (SBS 2003) name is correct but the migration process does not accept it.

ThumbsUp Re: SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 Migration Problem

Quote Originally Posted by ljacobs1 View Post
    I am having trouble with the migration. The answer file is read correctly. However, the process does not recognize the Source Server Name I give it and I cannot get past this point in the process. The Source Server (SBS 2003) name is correct but the migration process does not accept it.
    Check for dns on Source server, make sure ur able to ping using server name
    make sure dcdiag and netdiag are also clean, Disable task offloads on network card, run sbs bpa to see if there are any issues.

Re: SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 Migration Problem

dcdiag and netdiag were clean. I am not running WINS because I don't have any PCs older than running XP. BPA said that task offloading was not set in Registry. I had to add a key for it. I am not sure a reboot is required. BPA says that ExchangeVDir registry not a default value. I am not using the default directory for OMA but I am not sure that matters for migration.

I can ping by server name the SBS 2003 (Source Server).

The registry change u made for task offloads requires a reboot. i think wt u created was DWORD DisableTaskOffload under hklm\system\ccs\services\tcpip
    also tcpa , tcp chimney , rss should be off. check it from network card too,
    (KB 948496)
    properties of network card-->configure-->advanced tab-->disabled everything that says offloading

also check for latest driver for network card

take dcdiag and netdiag again and if u can post the results here

which antivirus r u using on the source server, that might also be the reason for this

sorry forgot to mention, since there would be 1 network card on the server, check if ipnat service is started, run 'net stop ipnat' from command prompt

check for ghost nics on source
    run 'set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1'
    go to device manager -->view-->show hidden devices--> network adaptor

check for hidden nics and remove them

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

had the same problem. Symantec endpoint protection was installed on the source server. remove that and problem was resolved.

Sharepoint 3.0 Event 2436 Context: Application 'Search index file on the search server', Catalog 'Search' Details: The object was not found. (0x80041201)

I had this error migrating from sbs 2003 to sbs 2008. The fix for me was that my local dns didnt have the mail.servername.com A record created. after putting that in, the errors went away. my test was that, on the sbs 2008 server, I couldnt go to Https://mail.servername.com/owa and I couldnt ping mail.servername.com. all is well now!

MSExchange ADAccess Event 2114 Process %1 (PID=%2). Topology discovery failed, error 0x%3 (%4). Look up the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) error code specified in the event description. To do this, use Microsoft Knowledge Base article 218185, "Microsoft LDAP Error Codes." Use the information in that article to learn more about the cause and resolution to this error. Use the Ping or PathPing command-line tools to test network connectivity to local domain controllers.

Had this error during migration from SBs 2003 TO SBS 2008. One thing I did was run Policytest.exe from a command prompt and make sure there were no errors. the main fix for me was: Our Default Domain Controllers policy had was not enabled, the customer had created a new one called "DC GPO" on the source server before the migration and used that policy on the domain controllers. I assume since the name was different, the correct security settings were not implemented by ADprep at the begining of the migration. The domain controllers container had "Block Inheritance" checked. I unchecked that box on the Domain Controllers container, edited the "DC GPO" policy and add Exchange Servers and Exchange Enterprise Servers to Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, User Rights Assignments, Manage auditing and security log. make sure that Linked Enabled and Enforced is checked on the "DC GPO" policy. then from a command prompt, ran gpupdate/force. with out even rebooting, I was able to start the services. after a reboot all the services started.

Hope that helps someone!

MessagingManagement error during SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 Migration using Change User Roles wizard. All users had a bogus email address associated to them, most likely from a bad email policy from back in the day. Once i removed the bad email address from every single user in active directory, the wizard finished sucessfully.