Thread: ACPI: expecting a [Reference] package element, found type 0

ACPI: expecting a [Reference] package element, found type 0

I upgraded my ubuntu linux to 9.04 from 8.10. Now when grub boot loader loads ubuntu, i get the following message before entering the graphical boot :
    ACPI: expecting a [Reference] package element, found type 0
    This isn't giving any functionality trouble but when this message is displayed on the screen, the computer stays there for about 1 minute. Can anyone help if this is the cafe just with me or everyone faces this? Please advice.

Re: ACPI: expecting a [Reference] package element, found type 0

This is a common problem if you have updated from a lower version of ubuntu. But this screen should not take more then 15 seconds before it disappears. 1 minute is too much time. I would recommend you to check your hard disk for errors. If there are any errors fix it, else try clean install of Ubuntu 9.04. All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Rudra.J View Post
    This is a common problem if you have updated from a lower version of ubuntu. But this screen should not take more then 15 seconds before it disappears. 1 minute is too much time. I would recommend you to check your hard disk for errors. If there are any errors fix it, else try clean install of Ubuntu 9.04. All the best!
    Thanks for the information, actually just needed the confirmation that it is a common problem. Well i have managed to install Ubuntu 9.04 on a very low configuration and the speed is supposed to be slow. Thanks for the information again. I will also try to clean install Ubuntu 9.04 on my machine and see if i get this screen.

Lolz. I though something is really weirdly wrong with your computer. Well there can be problem if your motherboard or some hardware is not compatible. I would sugges you to use the older version of ubuntu to get better performance on older computers. This may speed up your computer a bit. All the best!