Thread: Issue with Centralising by NIS

Issue with Centralising by NIS

Hello,

I am a newbie in Linux. I am not currently configuring the NIS server for centralizing the network to login. I followed s website for accomplishing this task,unfortunately I got an error when I run./usr/lib/yp/ypinit -m failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Unknown host Updating passwd.byuid.....I can't figure out exact info about that so just wonder anyone can help me.anything wrong with them????

thank you.....

Re: Issue with Centralising by NIS

I'd suggest you go for virtualizing the directory server... that way you can add the LDAP server without having to add another hardware. VMware delivers a "free" (unsupported) version of their product, and open source Xen virtualization is included with both SUSE and Red Hat enterprise products as well.you go into the admin utility, select the Linux server object and then "grant" access to that box in just a few clicks. You can also visit the "Properties" of a user and define which Linux boxes they have access to.

I think it is caused because of your stupidity.while you setting up the DNS,if the machine can't recognize itself as local host it will end up with this kind of errors.So you have to, just ensure you define back the machine as local host After installing the package, you have to set a NIS Domain Name that will be used by both the server and the client. On some systems you can do so by running the domain name command. On others, you can just add it to a configuration file and everything should work fine.

I have kind of got NFS server and client to work. However, I can make files in someone else's /home (i.e. I can make a file in bob's home even though I am login in and the rights are made such that I should not be able to.) Maybe I don't have it configured properly.The issues you describe are known "problems" with NFS.The uid differences per computer that is.You can fix the uid problems by using NIS (pretty simple) or LDAP (quite complex) as a centralized user authentication setup, which would run on your data server.