Thread: Disabling RAID 0 on running system

Disabling RAID 0 on running system

Hello Good Morning,

I am working with a a file server which has two drives running in a software (md'x') RAID 0 setup (mirroring). I had a kind of argument with one of my pal about disabling this RAID, and just having one system/data drive, and using the second drive for backups.But, I am not confident if I can do this with a running system, or do i need to reinstall the system for the same..

thanks for any valuable Advice

Re: Disabling RAID 0 on running system

I guess it is not possible do that,even though am not sure about it..Why though would one be unhappy with a more responsive disk array.If you configured RAID as a mirrored set,make an attempt to configure to a striped set,the performance gained over mirrored is substantial,over a IDE set is a lot.

Dr. V Guest

It is odd because if you stop the RAID, and remove the drive from the array, and fdisk'd the partitions. When ever reboot, everything will be in havoc, and the drive you would have fdisk'd still have the partitions and data on it.RAID 0 is not mirroring ... it's striping letting two drives appear as one with roughly the capacity of both.RAID 1 is mirroring... I would not recommend disabling any running RAID volume, at least not prior to backing it up completely.

My assumption is that since it's a RAID0 config, your drives will look like gibberish to the operating system if you turn off RAID. Disabling one controller in BIOS will make a boot error if you disable the one with the disks attached . You'll always be able to boot to BIOS to reset.If you have the motherboard manual you can normally discover from manufacturer's website you can determine which sockets are for which controller.