Thread: Difference between Live and Install Media of Fedora

Difference between Live and Install Media of Fedora

I am a Windows User and have no knowledge about Linux. But i want to learn and use linux. A friend suggested me to start with Fedora. On the fedora website, there are two download options, Live Media and Install Media. What is the difference between Live and Install Media of Fedora? Which one should i go with? Thanks!

Re: Difference between Live and Install Media of Fedora

A live media [live CD or live DVD] is a CD or DVD containing a bootable computer operating system. Live CDs are unique in that they have the ability to run a complete, modern operating system on a computer lacking mutable secondary storage, such as a hard disk drive. Live USB flash drives are similar to live CDs, but often have the added functionality of automatically and transparently writing changes back to their bootable medium. The term "live" derives from the fact that these CDs each contain a complete, functioning and operational operating system on the distribution medium.

An Installation media is a CD or DVD which contains the bootable environment for installing the operating system onto your computer's hard disk. This CD/DVD may be install only media. Most of the Operating Systems now have a common CD\DVD for both live and install environment. I think you should go for live media as you want to learn more. I would recommend you to go for Ubuntu first. Ubuntu is the most easiest and user friendly Linux OS and best for learners...

Yes, as a beginner, you should go for Ubuntu. Its the best Linux with very user friendly GUI and also very easy to install with its guided install. See here to download Ubuntu : Ubuntu 9.04 And Kubuntu 9.04 Final Released - Available for Download