Thread: OpenSUSE on sata hard disk

OpenSUSE on sata hard disk

I have a new ubuntu box and i have downloaded OpenSUSE which i want to try it out. I burned the downloaded ISO file to CD and booted my computer with it. Now the problem is it doesn't detect my sata hard disk. Is there something else i need to install? Well i had this problem with Ubuntu too so i got a spare IDE hard disk from my other older computer and have Ubuntu on it. I want to install OpenSUSE on sata hard disks, but i don't think about a work around. Please help!!

Re: OpenSUSE on sata hard disk

Its seems to be the BIOS problem. Does your BIOS recognise the Hard disks? If your motherboard doesn't recognize the hard disk then any Operating System won't be able to detect it, as all the basic information is fetched by the OS from the BIOS. In such case you will need to update your bios firmware. For this you need to download a .rom or .bin file of the latest bios image and a tool for flashing the bios from your motherboard manufacturer's website.

No!! My motherboard detects my hard disk in the BIOS and while the computer starts up, Its just that any Linux OS is not able to detect my hard disk. My BIOS can see my hard disk and when in the option i go see i can check its details too. This is some linux related problem for sure. Please help...

Go to BIOS setup and see what is the mode of onboard sata. The mode must be IDE and not RAID. If your hard disk is setup in raid mode, change the setting to IDE mode. If you use RAID and while startup, you will need to provide your motherboard disk for raid drivers, only after installing the raid drivers, your OS will detect your hard disk... Hope this helps...