Thread: Old Hard Disk to new motherboard?

Old Hard Disk to new motherboard?

Hi pals, I have a doubt, can anyone help me with it? I have a computer whose motherboard was fried last week and i got a new motherboard. I want to use everything that i had on that computer. Can i connect my new motherboard in the palce on the old one and will everything work just as the way it did before? Please help...

Re: Old Hard Disk to new motherboard?

Quote Originally Posted by molfer View Post
    Hi pals, I have a doubt, can anyone help me with it? I have a computer whose motherboard was fried last week and i got a new motherboard. I want to use everything that i had on that computer. Can i connect my new motherboard in the palce on the old one and will everything work just as the way it did before? Please help...
    Well there are conditions. The new motherboard will only work if your old motherboard was from the same manufacturer and its of the same model, even the BIOS version needs to be the same. If anything changes you will have to install Windows All over again... Hope this helps you...

Well, I don't have the same model as the manufacturer of the two motherboards are different... Any other way to make it work, I posted the question because i tried to start the computer with this new board, but it would bring the windows loading logo and then restarted itself... Any other work around? Please help guys, i have no backup of the contents in the 'c:' drive and i don't have the software cd's that are installed as all the softwares are genuine and the cds are corrupt and don't work anymore... Please help...

Well you can make your old windows work, but this will take a little more space then the fresh new installation. You can boot from windows XP CD and at the first screen press 'Enter' to install windows. Now after agreeing the license agreement, the setup will automatically detect the old Windows residing on the disk there press 'R' to repair the already existing Windows. The setup will continue as installing the new setup and after it is finished, you will see that your old setup is done...