Thread: How to Stop External Hdd From Denying Access to Folder

How to Stop External Hdd From Denying Access to Folder

Recently , When I click on the icon for my external hard drive (G\) this message appears: "G:\is not accessible - access denied"! can you tell me What does this message mean? and How to correct it as soon as possible?
    I tried to plug myexternal hdd on my tower and the same message appears: F:\is not accessible - access denied! , the problem i cannot access my folders , can you tell me how to stop external hdd from denying access to folder , please help me thanks in advance

Re: How to Stop External Hdd From Denying Access to Folder

If Windows prevents you from accessing a file or directory displaying a message like "Access denied" or "The user does not have access rights, it is probably a problem of permissions on the network or file system NTFS.

2 - download and burn a live CD (eg knoppy) boot from it and see if you have access to your disk freely.

In a first attempt to connect to the system with an Administrator account to check if the file is accessible. Otherwise, run a disk check (scandisk).

Windows XP (for NTFS)
    1. Click on the drive with the right button, then choose Properties.
    2. In the security tab, click Advanced Settings.
    3. If the Security tab does not appear in Windows XP Pro on the Tools menu, choose Folder Options, then in the window click the View tab and uncheck "Use simple file sharing".
    4. In the Owner tab, add the user concerned as owner. Check the box "Replace owner on sub containers and objects", then confirm.
    5. It is essential to note that the "deny" takes precedence to "allow". Thus, it is preferable to uncheck "allow" rather than check "refuse". Moreover, if the affected user is part of several groups and that access is denied to one group, then access will be denied!

hello , by the above menthod you can solve this problem. Otherwise, if your harddisk is in NTFS format then you convert it to FAT32 (as the permissions are not managed in FAT32) and you can reformat it to NTFS (right click-format in the Windows Explorer).

Following command:
    1. Go to Start> Run> type "cmd".
    2. Then type the following: Convert: /fs: ntfs
    3. Example: Convert I: /fs: ntfs