Thread: can i get windows xp service pack 2 by postal mail?

can i get windows xp service pack 2 by postal mail?

Hello, I wanted to know if I can get windows xp service pack 2 by postal mail? I have heard that microsoft was selling Windows XP Service Pack 2 cd for free? As I dont have internet connection at my place for the reason being we are just shifted to a new place, so that is why I wont be able to download all the updates directly from the net? Thank you
    ~ - ~

Re: can i get windows xp service pack 2 by postal mail?

Microsoft has been pushing Windows XP Service Pack 2 via Windows Update ever since it was released back in August. However, unbeknownst to most folks, SP2 is also available on CD for free. All you have to do is fill out the order form on the Windows XP site, and Microsoft will send you the CD for free. Not only is the CD free, but there's no shipping charge either.

While the information on the order page states that it may take approximately 4-6 weeks for shipping, many people are reporting that they received their CDs within a couple of weeks.

And, best of all, installing SP2 from the CD is a snap. You just insert the CD, wait for Autostart to kick in, and then just follow the onscreen instructions. Another benefit is that you can install SP2 easily on multiple PCs without having to download it via Windows Update on each PC.

Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...s/default.mspx

Source: techrepublic.com

Now you can obtain the latest Windows XP service pack:
    To install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), either Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) or Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) must already be installed.

To determine which service pack is currently installed on your computer, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Copy and paste, or type the following command and then click OK:
    winver

A dialog box displays the version of Windows and the service pack that is currently installed on your computer.

3. Note If you still are not sure which service pack that you have, you might want to ask someone for help, or you might want to contact Support http://support.microsoft.com (http://support.microsoft.com/) .

More information here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

System Requirements for Service Pack 2
    To find detailed information about your system, click Start, click Run, and type: msinfo32 . The first system requirement for SP2 is that you already have a version of Windows XP installed. Then you also need the following:

• CD-ROM drive or an Internet connection

• At least a 233 MHz processor and at least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM

• At least 1.8 gigabytes (GB) of available hard drive space

Service Pack 2 applies to all 32-bit editions of Windows XP, including Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional Edition, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, and Windows XP Media Center Edition. It does not apply to the 64-bit Edition of Windows XP. The same media or update location is used to update all supported editions of Windows XP.

Source: microsoft.com