Thread: Code 19 - USB not working in vista

Code 19 - USB not working in vista

I have a dell machine which is running on Windows Vista and all of a sudden my usb ports have stopped working. For each of the Usb controllers in device manager there is a yellow exclamation mark beside them listed and if I click on their status I got this error message: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19). Can anybody tell me how to rectify this problem? Thank you

Re: Code 19 - USB not working in vista

If you have your windows disk then try to delete the usb in the device manger and then restart, let windows find the ports and root hubs and ask to reinstall them and also their could be a possible virus scan needed in case if your system is infected.

If you are getting this error code 19 in device manager then it usually means that Vista cannot start the hardware device b/c its configuration information in the registry is damaged. I would first try to perform a system restore using a point prior to the installation of this device and driver -
    START | type rstrui.exe into the start search box and hit enter | go through the screens and perform the restore.

If you have uninstalled the USB controllers, did you allow Windows to automatically re-install them, or did you do so manually from your motherboard driver CD? Uninstall all your USB controllers, then install the drivers from you motherboard driver disc BEFORE you have device manager re-detect the controllers.