Thread: Windows XP freezes at mup.sys

Windows XP freezes at mup.sys

I had install Windows XP as my operating system and i need to remove pagefile.sys from my computer and for that i have to go into Safe mode and from there only i can remove pagefile.sys file, but when i try to login into safe mode my computer got freeze at Mup.sys file. Does anyone know why this might be or have suggestions about how I can work around this ?

There are many reason for your windows XP freezes at mup.sys, it might happen that there would be some hard ware issue and if you are using Windows XP SP2 then this is the most common issue and that its not mup.sys that may be the problem, but that its just the last file to load in that case i would suggest you to select Last good configuration and then again goto safe mode. Hope this works for you.

I have try to do that to but still my windows gets freeze at mup.sys , is there any other way where i can delete remove pagefile.sys without going from safe mode and for small issue i don't to format my Windows because many a times i had formatted my computer for every small issue and i know that formatting hard drive without any reason would damage my hard drive some day or either.

I you really want to delete pagefile.sys from your computer then insert your bootable cd into the drive and choose repair your Windows XP installation using recovery console prompt, over here first find out where is your pagefile.sys is located. If you want you can change the location of course. Now type the following code copy boot.ini pagefile.sys this will copy boot.ini file over the pagefile. Then type del pagefile.sys for deleting your fake pagefile.sys and reboot your computer for changes to get effected.