Thread: How Active directory group access SQL server

How Active directory group access SQL server

I have a SQL Server 2005 SP3 server that will not allow Active directory group users to login. Is it actually possible to use Active Directory groups to control access to Databases. Is there a way to specify access control rules for SQL Server from within Active Directory? how do i access AD from my local machine using powershell? do I have to install a special provider?

Re: How Active directory group access SQL server

Active Directory is the LDAP based directory, first introduced in Windows 2000, his is where Windows Authentication and Active Directory comes in. If you're valid windows user then that login can be used to log into SQL Server, provided that the login has been granted access to the SQL Server. OLE DB can also connect to some non-relational data sources. The OLE DB providers make the non-relational data appear relational.

Integration of SQL Server 2000 with Active Directory means essentially that SQL servers, their components and attributes, This is just my hypothesis but when using the second option, it seems to me that since the entity that is logging into the SQL Server

PHP Code:
     SELECT FROM OPENQUERYADSI'SELECT name, adsPath FROM ''LDAP://DC=....,DC=....,DC=...,DC=com'' WHERE objectCategory = ''Person'' AND objectClass= ''user'''

Install PowerShell Community Extensions (PSCX) from - they have an AD provider. Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) is a query language for directory services such as Active Directory. As long as your machine running PowerShell is in the domain then you can access AD through the provider. This not only facilitates organization-wide searches for features that clients, developers, or applications might be interested in, but also allows functional transparency.