Thread: Remote Desktop: An authentication error has occurred (Code: 0x80090304)

Remote Desktop: An authentication error has occurred (Code: 0x80090304)

When connecting across our VPN (using Hamachi 1.0.3.0) to our new Windows Server 2008 Standard x86 to attempt to open at Remote Desktop Session I get the followin error Remote Desktop Connection: An authentication error has occurred (Code: 0x80090304). Remote Computer X.X.X.X. Under remote settings on the server it is set to allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure). If I change it allow connections only with NLA I get an error stating that my PC does not support NLA. My PC is running Windows XP Pro with SP3. If I enable NLA following article and then try and connect I get an error stating this computer can't connect to the remote computer. On the LAN I can launch a remote desktop session successfully, it's only when using our VPN through Hamachi that I get this error. Any ideas???
    Last edited by G_Mukesh; 28-07-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: External link removed

Re: Remote Desktop: An authentication error has occurred (Code: 0x80090304)

Lower Remote Desktop Security - On your terminal services server goto System Properties -> Remote Tab -> Allow connections from computers running any version of remote desktop (less secure).

Just Reconnect and you are done .

This problem generally occurs if the less authority user tried to access the account, have you tried logging in using the admin username or domain username\ password, Also let me know, is your server's remote desktop setting configured to allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication?

0X80090304 error in the Windows operating system is associated with a certain application. Errors like 0X80090304 could occur because of incorrect records in Windows Registry which is a crucial part of your Windows operating system. If it is not functioning correctly certain file extensions won't be recognized and Windows will report an error.

Hi,
    There is some modifation reuired in registery

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
    2. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
    3. In the details pane, right-click Security Packages, and then click Modify.
    4. In the Value data box, type tspkg. Leave any data that is specific to other SSPs, and then click OK.
    5. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders
    6. In the details pane, right-click SecurityProviders, and then click Modify.
    7. In the Value data box, type credssp.dll. Leave any data that is specific to other SSPs, and then click OK.
    8. Exit Registry Editor.
    9. Restart the computer.

If the above solution doesnt work then try to login with another user in that system where you was getting the error code. After login you need to access remote of Windows Server 2008 and see if that works for you or not. If this doesnt work then rename the exisitng profile in that system and then try to login with your id now.