Thread: bootmgr after formatting

bootmgr after formatting

I've been recently getting a slew of errors on my Acer 5520 laptop (Windows vista Must restart because DCOM server process launcher service terminated among others) so I decided to just format my hard drive and reinstall Vista to nuke the problem into submission. While I was there I figured I may as well delete the other partition and combine it with my c drive to make more space.

After deleting the D partition and formatting the C, about half way through the installation process the computer told me it couldn't find any partitions anymore and cancelled.

After trying to restart the computer and redo the installation, I got an error "Bootmgr is missing. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart." I've tried setting my CD/DVD rom as number 1 in the boot sequence but it still never gives me a chance to press a button to boot from CD before it says the Bootmgr is missing again.

Any help would be greatly appeciated.

Re: bootmgr after formatting

One of way to resolve this is to - startup repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

• Insert the Windows Vista installation CD into the CD drive, and then start the computer.
    • When a message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears on the screen, press a key
    • Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next.
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next.
    • At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.
    • Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Rebuild BCD

1. Boot from windows Vista installation disc ,Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard input method set Next.
    2. Select now Repair computer.
    3. Select operating system and repair it set Next.
    4. In the System Recovery Options , click Command Prompt.
    5. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd , and then hit ENTER.

If your Windows Vista computer has encountered the dreaded “BOOTMGR is missing” error then i would recommend you to do a clean install using Vista DVD.

In most cases, the error message indicates that the boot sector is damaged or missing.

You may try using following Method, Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

1. You need to Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer.
    2. It will ask to Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.
    3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next.
    4. There you will find and option for Repair, Click on Repair Button on your computer.
    5. You need to select the drive option you need to Recover, In the System Recovery Options dialog box, will find in the Windows installation and click Next.
    6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.There you need to Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then go ahead clicking on Next. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

For that you need to check your boot sequence in order to make sure that the CD/DVD drive is before the hard drive. Some systems also have a boot menu that can be accessed at startup by pressing a key on the keyboard. For that you need to press "F12 key which will show you the Boot Menu" on your system.