Thread: Is it safe to delete .cab files on Windows Xp

Is it safe to delete .cab files on Windows Xp

I had installed Windows Xp on my system. There are many .cab files in my program files folder, which according to me seems to be unnecessary stored on my system. So, i would like to know that is it safe to delete .cab files from my pc? does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct information on the above issue.

Re: Is it safe to delete .cab files on Windows Xp

If they are in your C:\documents and settings\username\temp folder then
    you can delete them. Otherwise don't delete the .cab file, it is needed if you install new hardware on your pc. You can turn off the fie protection system, and remove more than 450MB in the dllcache folder. But before doing this you must fully understand the consequences and need to have a decent backup procedure, which also means you would need another hard drive.

I usually have no problems deleting anything in the temp folder. The easiest way to find which file belongs to which cab is to do it in windows itself. You can extract the file from dos but for those who dont know how to use the extract command, you can go into your windows and click on start/find/files or folders. and then list the cabfiles from the cd or your hardrive(eg: *.cab)and then hit find now. Once that is done, click on the advance key and type the name of the file that needs to be replaced and it should tell you which cab file it is in.

To list the content of each cabinet files, without extracting any file, you can use the "extract.exe" utility. CAB files contain MANY FILES needed by a certain program (It can retrieve them from that cab). So unless your sure (100%) that you dont need any files contained in a certain CAB, i wouldn't recommend removing it.