Thread: How to improve Virtual PC SP1 performance over Remote Desktop

How to improve Virtual PC SP1 performance over Remote Desktop

I am running Virtual PC 2007 SP1 on my Windows Vista computer at my office. I want to connect to this computer from my home using Remote Desktop. I have tried this several times but the problem is that the performance of Virtual PC 2007 SP1 over Remote Desktop is too low. Is there any way to improve this?

Re: How to improve Virtual PC SP1 performance over Remote Desktop

Microsoft Virtual PC is a virtualization suite for Microsoft Windows operating systems. Virtual PC virtualizes a standard PC and its associated hardware. Supported Windows operating systems can run inside Virtual PC. However, other operating systems like Linux may run, but are not officially supported.

To change the port number that the Remote Desktop client connects to, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click Remote Desktop Connection.
    2. In the Computer box, type the computer name or the IP address of the computer that you want to connect to, followed by a colon (:) and the port number that you want to use.
    3. Click Connect.

Virtual PC is completely unusable over Remote Desktop if Virtual Machine Additions is not installed on the guest operating system. Also there are a several changes that should be taken care of:

1. Never use a desktop background.
    2. Turn off mouse pointer shadows
    3. Make sure that video hardware acceleration is set to highest possible setting.
    4. Disable displaying window contents while dragging.

Hardware plays an important role while running Virtual PC over Remote Desktop. See if you have good hardware configuration such as RAM, graphic card, virtual memory space etc. It is recommended that you should have minimum 2 GB of RAM, a good quality of graphics card with provided memory of 512 MB, a processor of minimum 1 GHz etc.

Make sure that you have enough disk space on your host machine to host all the virtual disks of your guest machines. However, in this case, free space is not enough to make your VMs run faster.
    Last edited by Maqbool; 21-06-2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: External Links Not Allowed, Not Even In Signatures, Removed The Same.