Thread: WDM call returned error: 4200

WDM call returned error: 4200

I am having Windows XP SP2 with an ASUS A7N8X-E motherboard. From last few days when I boot the system it goes to the windows apology screen and highlights Start windows normally. I've tried a number of things and i keep getting this error,"WDM call returned error: 4200".The error message is logged every ten seconds. Please help me out of this.

Re: WDM call returned error: 4200

From what I understand, theses errors are used by driver developers to debug problems with their drivers. You need to download a drive diagnostic utility from the drive manufacturer's web site and run the diagnostics on the drive. Or else the cause for the following error may also be a file at c:\program files\common files\symantec\sndsrvc.exe. It is a part of the Norton Personal Firewall 2004 package, just try to uninstall the firewall and see what happens. One of user was having the similar problem and he fixed it by doing so.

I think this error may be due to corrupted WMI repository. What i can suggest you is open your command prompt and type this rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository and press Enter. This will detect and repair all the corrupted WMI Repositor. you may also need to re-register all the .DLL and .EXE files at %windir%\system32\wbem. The commands you will require to re-register the WMI component are cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem, for %i in (*.dll) do RegSvr32 -s %i, for %i in (*.exe) do %i /RegServer.

Dr. V Guest

You can also download Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) CORE 1.5 from Microsoft's Official Site. WMI makes Windows extremely manageable using a single consistent, standards-based, extensible and object-orientated interface. WMI is the Microsoft implementation of Web-Based Enterprise Management (WBEM), an industry initiative to develop a standard technology for accessing management information in an enterprise environment. This initiative helps companies lower their total cost of ownership by enabling powerful management of systems, applications and devices

Greetings all. I know this thread is old - however, It was the very first google result of my search criteria.

I've been getting the same log entries in my wmiprov.log -> "WDM call returned error: 4200"

Finding this thread, and the 1st solution, which i tried, ended up with an additional log entry -> "Impersonation failed - Access denied"

Privileges issue?

Thanks in Advance & Take Care -Convey