Thread: windows Xp PreFetch Cache Setup

windows Xp PreFetch Cache Setup

Hello,
    I Have actually read from an article that it is needed from time to time delete all files from "windows/prefetch" folder , i too have check that In the C:\ WINDOWS\Prefetch, there is a list of files. that are unknown to any software on my PC. , so what should i do with them , How do i set them Up , please advice Thanks in advance

Re: windows Xp PreFetch Cache Setup

As for the use of your computer, the prefetch folder is filled with outdated links and Which can significantly slow down your computer. So you Have Go into your system folder (usually C:\Windows\) and then in the prefetch folder, empty it and restart; It is recommended to do this every month.

There is a rule that says, does not touch files in the Windows directory if you do not know what you are doing. Moreover, this folder is hidden by default.

The prefetch directory contains information for starting the programs more quickly, in my opinion, if you delete it might decrease performance. Files that begin or end with KB are files to update Windows Update. Do not believe anything on the Internet, some do not really know what they're talking about ...

It is important to understand what is the prefetch folder (C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch): When you start a program, it is loaded

At the first launch of the program, Windows will scan (10 seconds) which files the program need accesses and logs it in a file in the prefetch folder.

In the following next launches , Windows will take the opportunity to Load in advance the files needed by the program Result: A programs launches faster.

Finally, the Windows defragmenter can also use the information in the prefetch folder to place the files used the most when you start at the beginning of the disk to further improve performance.

There is no need to delete this file, because Windows limits it to 128 files anyway. if you Delete the contents of this folder than that will affect the performance of Windows.