Thread: Bizarre Vista Issue

Bizarre Vista Issue

Ok so this is alot to explain but I have lost all my documents for the past 3 months so I'm in desperate need of help...

I'm running Vista business on my Vostro 1510 Dell laptop.

For some reason when I rebooted last evening Vista could not load all my desktop items. It appeared once I did get a desktop that all my information was lost. My user account had my name but everything else was just like it had been just installed. When I opened Outlook i had to go through the install and everything. None of my Outlook data was anywhere to be found, emails contacts everything. I started to panic. All of the My Documents files were empty as well. It was like Vista had reinstalled somehow.

So I start searching for my files thinking well even if it reinstalled somehow it probably didn't destroy my old files they are likely somewhere. I couldn't find the out look data but I managed to find my documents, pictures under the users folder in the C:/. So I copy them to my new documents file and accept that well I have to rebuild my email from my most recent backup.

oh ya at this time I also discover that my system backup was never turned on Thanks for that DELL!

Now this is where it gets bizarre so I then decide to reboot, now I know better and that I should have just done that first...anyhow when I reboot everything comes up like it did before. My outlook is intact all my contacts but here is the thing my documents is empty!!! And when I go to C:/ users there are no documents. I was floored...did I my Dell open a portal to aother universe...thinking this was all to wierd I went to bed...well I woke up this morning and nothing changed...

So please please if you have any insight as to what happened and more importantly where my files may be...or if you know how to open portals or go back in time HElp!!!!!
    Capermickey

Re: Bizarre Vista Issue

It seems that somebody did a system restore to your computer. Did you do the system restore to the first restore check point? If you did not do it, somebody else did it for sure...

Re: Bizarre Vista Issue

Try Inbox Repair tool, it Scans and repairs the corrupted Outlook data files. If you can't open your Personal Folders file (.pst) or your Offline Folder file (.ost), or you suspect that your .pst or .ost data file is corrupted, you can use the Inbox Repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file.

For more information : Microsoft