Thread: Vmware Server 64 bit

Vmware Server 64 bit

I had installed Windows Vista on my system. I'm planning to go for vmware server 64 bit, but i have heard that it only supports Linux. So, i would like to know that other than Linux, vmware server 64 bit supports which operating system? Does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct information on the above issue. Would be grateful if any body provides me the correct information on the above issue.

Re: Vmware Server 64 bit

VMware's virtual machine monitor has traditionally used segmentation to provide isolation between the guest operating system and the virtual machine monitor. VMware Server, the successor to VMware GSX Server, enables users to quickly provision new server capacity by partitioning a physical server into multiple virtual machines, bringing the powerful benefits of virtualization to every server.

VMware Server still has a few snags when installed on a 64-bit version of Linux, but that's no reason not to step up to that level. VMware Server is a free virtualization product for Microsoft Windows and Linux servers that enables you to provision new server capacity by partitioning a physical server into multiple virtual machines.

VMware Server is feature-packed with the following capabilities:

• Support for any standard x86 hardware.
    • Support for a wide variety of Linux and Windows host operating systems, including 64-bit operating systems.
    • Support for a wide variety of Linux, NetWare, Solaris x86 and Windows guest operating systems, including 64-bit operating systems.
    • Support for Virtual SMP, enabling a single virtual machine to span multiple physical processors.
    • Quick and easy, wizard-driven installation similar to any desktop software.
    • Quick and easy virtual machine creation with a virtual machine wizard.
    • Virtual machine monitoring and management with an intuitive, user friendly remote console.

The big issue is that the software applications that run on them are not available. For that you need to install and run VMware Server as an application on top of a host Windows or Linux operating system.