Thread: How to schedule disk defragmentation in XP

How to schedule disk defragmentation in XP

I am using Windows XP and since last couple of days i am using it for my commercial purpose where i need to make frequent writes and deletions from the hard disk. Due to Fragmentation, my pc is resulting in slower performance. So what i need is to make a schedule defragmentation so that it can run automatically when i am not at the spot. Is there any way to schedule disk defragmentation in XP ? If yes, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to schedule disk defragmentation in XP

You can easily automate disk defragmenter using Task Scheduler Tool in Windows XP. To know how, just go through this steps:-

• Open Control Panel
    • Double-click Scheduled Tasks
    • Double-click Add Scheduled Task
    • On the Scheduled Task Wizard dialog, click Next
    • Click Browse
    • In the Select Program to Schedule dialog, navigate to the windows\system32 folder
    • Select defrag.exe
    • Click Open
    • In the Scheduled Task Wizard dialog, type a name for the scheduled task
    • Under Perform this task, select how often you wish Disk Defragmenter to run
    • Click Next
    • Set the time at which you wish the Disk Defragmenter scheduled task to run. This should be a time when your computer is on, but not in heavy use.
    • Select the frequency at which you want the Disk Defragmenter scheduled task to run (Every Day, Weekdays, or Every <N> days, where <N> is the number of days between scheduled runs)
    • Click Next
    • Enter a user name under which the Disk Defragmenter scheduled task will run.
    • Enter the password for the user you entered in the previous step
    • Confirm the password for the user
    • Click Next
    • Check Open advanced properties for this task when I click Finish
    • Click Finish
    • In the Run text box, you should see the full path and command for defrag.exe. By default, this path is C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\defrag.exe
    • Append the drive letter for the drive you wish to defragment to the command in the Run text box. In a default installation, your Run command will look like this:
      C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\defrag.exe C:
    • Click OK
    • In the Set Account Information dialog, enter and confirm the password for the user listed in Run as
    • Click OK

To schedule disk defragmentation in XP, simply go to Start Menu and click on Run. Now type defrag in the command prompt and press Enter. This will open the Disk Defragmenter window. Here you can see 'Run on a schedule' check box is marked by default. If it is not there than just do it. Check the box to enable scheduling.Select the drives to be defragged in the resulting window. To change the scheduled time, click on the "Modify Schedule" button.Select an appropriate week, day and time from the respective drop-down lists.Enter all your settings and save it by clicking on OK. Thats it. You are done !!!

That is all i needed. Thanks for sharing this information step by step. It really made me understand easily. Nice way of guide. Keep it up Guys. Help appreciated. Thank You