Thread: How to merge hard drive partitions

How to merge hard drive partitions

Hi,
    I have a 160 GB hard drive in my computer. I am using windows xp with 1 gig of ram and c2d processor. I have partition of 4 partitions of 40gb each. I want to merge the last two partition and create a 80 GB single partition out of it. I want to know how can I do this without using the windows bootable disk. I need some free software's which are enough reliable who can merge and create partition without damaging the disc. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to merge hard drive partitions

There are thousand of free software's for hard drive partitions. You can create and delete the partitions as and when required. Try Easeus Partition Manager . It is a freeware tool for disk partitioning. The basic and advance operation in this tool allows you to create, delete, re-size and move the hard disk partitions without any data loss. It has a easy to user UI and multiple functions.

Instead of using any third party tools why don't you try windows disk management service. It is a windows service which used to merge and create partitions. To use this service go to Start Menu > Control Panel > Administrative Tool > Computer Management > Disk Management. When you click on the Disk Management at the bottom you see your old drives. Select them and right click on them. Delete it and create a new single partition.

I will recommend you to use Partition Manager. It is a popular and freeware tool. By this software you can redistribute you unused space and then easily re-size and move partition. Everything is in wizard mode which guides you to entire process. Other than partitioning you can use the backup feature also to create backup of data and OS.