Thread: RmDir Missing in Windows XP

RmDir Missing in Windows XP

In my Windows XP, I normally use RmDir command to delete or remove files while implementing Recovery Console. Yesterday when I was implementing Recovery Console, I didn't find "rmdir" command. I think that RmDir command is missing. Does anybody knows about this ?

Re: RmDir Missing in Windows XP

rmdir / rd command

This command removes empty directories in MS-DOS. The user must use the deltree command, or /s option (if running on Microsoft Windows XP) in order to delete directories with files or directories within them.

This command is extremely useful.

Rmdir (rd) - Removes (i.e. deletes) a directory.

Syntax
    rmdir [Drive:]Path [/s] [/q]
    rd [Drive:]Path [/s] [/q]

Parameters

[Drive:]Path : Specifies the location and name of the directory that you want to delete.

/s : Removes the specified directory and all subdirectories including any files. Use /s to remove a tree.

/q : Runs rmdir in quiet mode. Deletes directories without confirmation.

/? : Displays help at the command prompt.

For Windows XP -

• Go to "Start" --- "Help and Support" --- under the "Pick a Task" section --- select the "Tools" link.
    • At the bottom of the Tools list, you'll find entries that will help you with your command-line batch questions.
    • There is the "Command-line reference A-Z". Be sure to read about: For | Set | Redirection operators

If you have an OEM version of Windows, you may need to read the XP Command-line reference A-Z on the web.

If you don't have "Help and Support" in your Start menu,
    • Right-click the Start button and select "Properties"
    • On the "Start Menu" tab, select the "Start menu" option and click the "Customize" button.
    • Go to the "Advanced" tab, and select "Help and Support" on the "Start menu items:" list

1. The rmdir command, with different parameters, is available from the Recovery Console.

2. You cannot delete a directory that contains files, including hidden or system files. If you attempt to do so, the following message appears: The directory not empty
      Use the dir command to list hidden and system files, and the attrib command to remove hidden and system attributes from files.

3. If you insert a backslash (\) before the first directory name in path, the directory is treated as a subdirectory of the root directory, regardless of your current directory. If you do not insert a backslash before the first directory name in path, the directory is treated as a subdirectory of the current directory.

4. You cannot use rmdir to delete the current directory. You must first change to a different directory (not a subdirectory of the current directory) and then use rmdir with a path. If you attempt to delete the current directory, the following message appears: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.