Thread: Changing BIOS settings in Windows Xp

Changing BIOS settings in Windows Xp

I'm running Windows Xp as my operating system. I would like to change my BIOS settings on my system. So, can please any body tell me that how can i change BIOS settings on Windows Xp? Does any body knows how can i do it? Kindly provide me the correct solution for the above issue. Would be grateful to you if any body provides me the correct solution for the above issue.

Re: Changing BIOS settings in Windows Xp

The BIOS is stored in a ROM chip that is on your motherboard. Most computers are set up so that when you first turn on your computer it will check to see if you want to boot from other drives besides your hard drive.

Depending on your computer model, the way you will access your BIOS set up menu will differ. To change your BIOS settings, you must enter the computer’s CMOS (complementary metal-oxide semiconductor) setup screen during the startup process. CMOS is a small chip that stores information about your particular system and its devices. If you want you can also try out the following steps.
    1) Restart your computer. Go to "Start," "Turn Off Computer" and "Restart."
    2) Press the correct key to enter your BIOS before the Windows loading screen appears. This key will vary depending on your computer manufacturer and BIOS. Most systems use "Esc," "Del," "F2" or "F1." The key will be displayed briefly when you boot or you can check your computer manual. If pressing one of those keys takes you to a boot order screen, choose "Setup" to continue to your BIOS settings.
    3) Use your arrow and function keys to navigate the tabs and to change settings. Each BIOS will have specific instructions at the bottom and right of the screen.
    4) Understand the different settings under each tab. Main changes the system date and time. This is different than the time listed in your notification tray. Security sets, clears or changes system passwords. These passwords can restrict who has access to the BIOS settings. Advanced changes your boot order and reserved video memory. Tools performs a diagnostic hard drive test.
    5) Press "F9" if you want to restore your BIOS to default settings.

It will automatically check to see if you have a bootable CD in your CD drive. If you computer has a floppy drive, it will check to see if your have a boot disk in the floppy drive. Then once it has checked all possible locations for a boot disk, the system will default to your hard drive and start booting Windows.

1. Turn on the computer.
    2. Press the F1 key when the keyboard light comes on. Wait about 5 seconds.
    3. Press the F5 key and press ENTER. This restores the default settings of the BIOS. Wait about 5 seconds.
    4. Press the F10 key and then press the ENTER key. This saves and exits the BIOS.