Thread: Problem with keyboard/windows (?)

question Problem with keyboard/windows (?)

Hi, I'm having some problems with my keyboard, a day ago I sat on my computer and I realized that some windows was recognizing some keys as pressed down, at first I thought that just the Ctrl key was doing this, but I saw then that when I opened the properties of a file, in the shortcut key path it was showing Ctrl + Alt + Z, plus, the virtual keyboard is showing like many keys are being pressed at the same time. This makes the keyboard useless since I can't really do anything. Rebooting doesn't work, the problem starts with Windows, and then, sometimes after half an hour, everything is working normal, just like that. But after a few minutes the problem comes back.
    Of course I tryied changing the keyboard many times, as well as scanning the system for virus and spyware. Nothing there.
    Searching on the net I came across people who where having problems with Sticky Keys, I don't think this is the problem either, since the first time it happened, stickykeys was disabled. All the same, I tryied all the possible solutions I could find, holding the two shift keys down, pressing the shift key 5 times, and so on. I also downloaded a .reg that disables Sticky Keys. But that was no help.
    I couldn't really find anything on internet about this particular case.
    I noticed though that the event viewer was showing a couple of errors. First one was Event ID:7031, showing that Windows CardSpace service was terminated. I don't think this is it though.
    However, the other error was Event ID: 7026, this was showing that the driver i8042prt failed to load.
    I googled it and its supposed to be something related to the mouse or keyboard. I changed the Start entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters to 4, which is restricted, and also to 0, disabled. But I keep having the same problem.
    Also, I noticed on the Device Manager, that if I check Show Hidden Devices on the View menu, I get two errors.
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
    Then I have two HID Keyboard Device and two HID-compliant mouse devices working well. I don't know if this is supposed to be like that.
    Anyway, I tryied to update the drivers for both non working devices, but it said that the wizard could not find a better match for my hardware.

Does anyone know of a possible way to fix this?

Edit: Btw, I am using Windows XP Pro SP3
    AMD Athlon 64 5000+ X2Dual 2GB RAM 140Gb HD

I don't remember installing anything that could've brought this problem, plus, it just happened, everything was working great, I watched something on TV, and when I came back things were like this. So I don't really have a clue.

Re: Problem with keyboard/windows (?)

Simple answer to your problem is just check your keyboard on your friends computer & see if it gives you the same kind of problem if not then definitely its the windows.
    I must say install an updated & reliable anti-virus to clean all the harmful threats to your computer.

I hope this helps.

Go to start > run >regedit
    Navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters]
    Change the value Headless data to 0x1
    reboot

as extra note:
    add the key as DWORD !

If the keyboard is not functioning, make sure that it is connected correctly to the computer. Check all the keyboard's plugs (PS/2 and USB) to make sure that there are no loose connections.

If an adapter (USB to PS/2 or PS/2 to AT) is being used, verify that it is the adapter that came with the keyboard or that the keyboard supports adapting to a different port. For example, the Internet Keyboard does not adapt to a USB port, and a PS/2 to USB adapter will not work. It does not include an adapter.

If the issue continues to occur, connect the keyboard to a different computer. If the keyboard functions correctly on a different computer, the port to which the keyboard was connected on the original computer may be damaged. If this is the case, contact your computer manufacturer to inquire about how to repair or replace the damaged port.

If the keyboard does not function correctly on another computer, the keyboard may be defective. If this is the case, and the warranty on the keyboard is still valid, you can exchange the defective keyboard for a new keyboard. If you want, you can check out the following link. Hope so it may help you out to resolve your issue.

I did, I tryied a couple different keyboards, and I tryied my keybords on different computers as well, I am positive that the keyboard is not the problem but something related to windows.

I went into regedit and I don't have that entry, should I add it anyway? I read that it was only for computers that are used as servers, and this is a desktop computer.

About the antivirus, I am using NOD32, and Ad-Aware for spyware, the system seems to be clean.

Edit: I tryied both usb and ps/2 keyboards, there is no difference. Plus, when things do work, the keyboard works a charm, its just when the system decides to stop working correctly that I have this problem.

This definitely is a virus problem. I had this same problem, a couple of months ago, The computer would stop my keyboard from working and only mouse would work, and at times none would work, At those time i just press power button on the CPU and Windows would shut down as everything was normal. Then i restart my computer and everything back to normal, again on its mood it would screw the keyboards functioning... All i did is a Format and everything is fine now...

Well, the mouse keeps working fine, but that doesn't help that much, because since there appears to be several keys being held down all the time, I can't even keep the right click menu open.
    About being a virus, I am starting to think that might be the case, but the virus scan keeps showing that everything is fine.
    I am already thinking about a format, but I wanted to explore every option first.

Try this - Remove and then reinstall the driver, follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the device from the computer.

2. Turn off the power for the device, if the device has a separate power supply.

3. Open Device Manager. To do this, use one of the following methods:

• In Windows Vista, click Start, type device in the Start Search box, and then click Device Manager in the Programs list.
        If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
      • In Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK.

4. Double-click Keyboard, right-click the keyboard that you use, and then click Uninstall.

Note - If your device is not listed, this means that the device was removed automatically when you disconnected the device. Continue to the next step.

5. Restart the computer.

6. Turn the power back on for the device, if you have to, and then plug the device into the computer. Your computer detects the device, and then reinstalls the drivers for the device.

To download the latest drivers for the keyboard that you are using, visit the following Microsoft hardware Web site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/do...px?category=MK

I'm sure its a virus issue, as i had been through this problem, and i totally understand how it feels like to get stuck in the middle of some work. Format your computer as soon as possible. Viruses now a days are made to evolve and some of them are capable to detecting our moments and disabling our protection methods...

I did what Calvin said and now it seems to be working fine. Which is kinda strange, because that was the first thing I did when the problem started and it didn't work. But now everything seems to be going well, I tryied it today and all day has been working fine. I hope it stays this way.
    Thanks so much for your help everybody

Well, I was hoping that I wouldn't have this problem again, but after an entire day of working perfectly, the problem is back
    I went again into Device Manager, erase the HID devices one more time, reboot, and again its working.
    I noticed though that when Windows starts, I can right click normally, but when I selected a couple of files of the desktop, the stayed selected, like I was holding the Ctrl key, just the Ctrl key though, nothing else. I went into Virtual Keyboard, pressed it a couple of times there and now everything works like a charm. However, I think that in a day, or less, this will come back again.
    I ran the antivirus and ad aware scan again, nothing bad.
    Do I have to face that the only permanent solution to this would be a format?

Well, I tryied the system restore from safe mode with command prompt and it didn't work either. But, when I went back to the Device manager to erase de devices and reboot, I noticed that I erased only one of the HID Keyboards (Which didn't ask me to reboot), the computer works good again, the keyboard works fine again too (well, I do have to press the Ctrl and Alt key once, since they seem to be locked).
    So I am guessing that the problem is about that. I am guessing also, that since I didn't reboot, the problem won't come back until I do, since that device is not going to magically pop again into the device manager (I hope).
    However, when I do reboot, I take that windows will install that device again, and the story will repeat itself, but at least now I know how I can make it work.
    This isn't by far the solution I was hoping for, its not a permanent fix, but well, I don't really want to format right now.

I will continue trying new things if you have some ideas too

This is my personal experience and so i am asking you to format and let your computer have a clean Windows installation. Well its totally up to you... Anyways, All the best!