Thread: What is hkcmd.exe

What is hkcmd.exe

Recently I had noticed error in my log file called hkcmd.exe. I scanned my system and not virus found. But after a specific time the error pops-up again. In my log file the files has a number of attempts and it is still running. I am quiet irritated by this. What is thing all about. I tried to locate the file also but no progress. It is a virus. If yes then how can I remove it from my system. Thanks.

Re: What is hkcmd.exe

It is related to the Intel multimedia device. If you have an intel motherboard then you can see some multimedia keys on that. Like voice key, mail, sound key, etc. The error is related to this keys. If windows are unable to detect the drivers for running the keys the error pops-up. Normally it is not a virus. It is an error caused due to the driver of Intel hot keys. you can resolve by updating your Intel chipset mother board drivers. If you want you can have it from the internet or you can use the the mother board cd also. Normally it recommended not to terminate till required. If there is an need then your can kill the process from task manager.

Don't worry it is not an harm. Only thing is that it divert your attention as virus. It is the file which comes in the system at the time of installation or purchase. It is linked to the hot keys which are placed on your keyboard. Even if you use any different keyboard the hot keys are configured in the mother board. You can disable it by, Go to Start menu > control panel > Intel Extreme Graphics > Hot Keys. And turns them off. The file hkcmd.exe will switch off. It is not good to kill the process from task manager or else it will led to some more system problems.

It is called as hotkey command interpreter. It comes installed with Intel 810 and 815 chipset graphic driver. Try pressing Ctrl + Alt + F12 from key board. You will get access to the intels hot keys setting. From there you can stop it. It is an customization option provided by Intel. One thing you will need to note down that if you want you can run this other wise switch it off. This process is not termed as critical for windows. Run any registry tool or a freeware system scanner. The location of file is C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe. It can also be disable from control panel > Display properties. It is an startup entry which runs on start up of windows. The simple way to resolve the error is to update your chipset driver. You must take care that some virus and malwares can have same name. So it is better to scan the system in safe mode.