Thread: Error "a device attached to the system is not working" while mapping a drive

Error "a device attached to the system is not working" while mapping a drive

I can connect to the VPN but I get the error message: A duplicate name exists on the network. That disappears, and then I can access the internet, and email using Outlook, with no problem. If I try to map a network server I get the same dialog box and enter 'domain\user and password. Then I get this error message : The mapped network drive could not be created because the foillowing error has occured :"a device attached to the system is not working". How to fix this issue ? Please help.

Re: Error "a device attached to the system is not working" while mapping a drive

This problem can be because you may have named your computer with a duplicate name to a computer on the University network. You can try this to fix this problem:-

Go to control panel than Admin tools and click on services.

Scroll down to 'Routing and Remote Access'.

Go to properties and set start-up to automatic and start the service.

Thats it. Remember Service 'Routing and Remote Access' is required for this. hope this will work for you.

Re: Error "a device attached to the system is not working" while mapping a drive

you can try this as well in this case:- First of all press Ctrl + Alt +Del and if you get the choice of a 'username, password and domain' to enter before you log-in - you have a University setup PC - do not change the name, ring the ISS Service Desk on x10987. Now go to Systems Properties by right clicking the My computer. now go to 'Computer Name' tab then click on the 'Change' and edit your computer name to a unique name.click OK and the OK again - reboot if asked. You are done.