Thread: Windows 7 sidebar missing

Windows 7 sidebar missing

I am using Windows 7 Beta 1. it is working fine but today i am not able to see its sidebar. I try to find out why but dint got any thing. Yesterday i just made one changes that is disabling UAC to avoid that nasty token elevation bug. I guess that might be the cause for this. Could any of you make me know how can i get back the missing sidebar in my Windows 7 ? Thanks in advance.

Re: Windows 7 sidebar missing

Definitely disabling UAC is the cause that disabled the Gadgets in your case.The reason for this is that Microsoft made the assumption that the sidebar process would never be run in an elevated state. Anyways, you can correct this issue with some small changes in registry. Heres how:-

Go to Start and run the command prompt. Once it is opened , locate to the folder:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar\Settings
    Now on the right side make a new DWORD Value key and name it as AllowElevatedProcess.

Set the value of the new DWORD to 1 and close the rigistry. Thats it..

Reboot the system and you will get the Sidebar back to your system.

I believe one of the page elements you added is wider than the space allocated and it crowded the sidebar to the bottom. Only thing I can think of to do is to back out the most recent changes one at a time until things are correctly displayed. Or it might be also because Gadgets run with Low Privileges in Protected Mode similar to Internet Explorer 8 in Windows 7. U can manualy turn it back on if u go in Control Panel > Sidebar.There is an icon with that name there and u can easily turn it back on.

Thank you, that worked a treat. I had to extract the Windows Sidebar folder from install.wim in build 6801. This is so much easier. Thanks for quick help.