Thread: SFC error on Vista

SFC error on Vista

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium build 6000. i tried to running SFC checker on the Vista DVD as I cannot extract the necessary file I need off the DVD using other measures. When u tried to run SFC from command, i got error saying,""Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.". Why is that so. How can i fix this problem ?Please help.

Re: SFC error on Vista

The DVD would be of no use, really, and it may be causing it not to complete its scan. The files it verifies against (or cross-checks with) are under
    C:\Windows\WinSxS\. I don't think it's possible to do a SFC on a CD, you need an OS to execute it. To delete corrupt file/folder and replace with good version:

• Take ownership of corrupt folder/file and WinSxS folder (ie parent) only
    • Give Full Control permissions to corrupt file and delete
    • Copy replacement file
    • Remoce permissions from replaced folder and file(s)
    • Give NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller ownership of replaced folder/children and parent directory

Dr. V Guest

Try this command, to see if SFC can complete. This command will have SFC scan all protected system files, but not attempt
    to repair files.

SFC /VERIFYONLY
    Or it may be the cause of .NET Framework has some problem because Vista regard .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 as its system component.Please try to repair/reinstall the .NET Framework 3.5. If you want to try to repair the registry keys/values that are a part of the .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0, you will need to run Windows Vista OS setup again and repair the OS.

thanks for the help. Let me try these suggestions first. hope it works for me. If nay problem occurs, i'll be back. Thank you.