Thread: How to compress old files on the system

How to compress old files on the system

I have some MB's of file, which are no longer useful for now, but it may happen that it will be required later, but it consumes lot of disk space to the todays date, and I wanted to compress these files so that it would help me in 2 ways that it will save my disk space and i can use it to the later date, so please let me know how to do it.

Re: How to compress old files on the system

I know how to compress the files that has not been read or modified for a longer period of time and if the check box “Compress old files” is selected in Disk Cleanup, clicking on the Disk Cleanup compress files to reduce the file size that those file occupies. This is been also possible to automate the disk cleanup task and schedule it. Once you found the “Options” button in “Compress Old File” there you would find the Category where you could specify no of days to wait before non-accessed files are compressed.

Compress Old Files doesn't delete any files from the drive. It compresses files that Windows hasn't accessed for a specified period of time.Go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management, Disk Management, then right-cl!ck the partition whose name you want to change (cl!ck in the white area just below the word "Volume") and select "change drive letter and paths." The files are still available, but there will be a slight increase in access times because the files will be decompressed the next time they are accessed.

Right click on the drive letter and select 'Properties' the box to enable is located in the bottom left of the Properties window.There you would find an option to compress the file, make that option enable you will get the files compressed, it will reduce the file size to the minimum.