Thread: Need to resize Hiberfil.sys

Need to resize Hiberfil.sys

I am a Windows XP user and i would like to keep the use of hibernation. But while searching a file on my hard disk i found a file of huge size and i got that it is hiberfil.sys. It was sizing around 300 MB. Well, i dont want to remove it from my system, but probably i want to resize it. Is there any way i can do that ? If yes, how? Please help.

Re: Need to resize Hiberfil.sys

Thats correct that Hiberfil.sys size in pproximately 250 MB to over 1GB.Hiberfil.sys is hibernation file that store whole Windows state, when hibernation in action.It is normally located at C:\hiberfil.sys. Resizing it is the better idea. Here is how we can resize Hiberfil.sys:-

Go to Start menu, click on run and type POWERCFG -H -Size and press Enter. This will show you the desired size in percentage which should not be smaller than 50.This switch will also enable the hiberfil.sys automatically.

Most people is more at ease shutting it down than hibernating it. For users who use drive imaging to backup their system, the hiberfil.sys file can cause the backup files to bloat…making them larger and therefore slower to copy or restore.This key contains a string with three space separated values "Path" "minimum size" "maximum size". Choose both sizes 0 if you want to have the system use an appropriate amount and adjust the new path. Make sure that the new location is still on a local drive unless you know what you are doing. Reboot now for the change to take effect.

In case if you want to remove Hiberfil.sys from your system, see this

How to remove hiberfil.sys
    How to delete hiberfil.sys

Thanks a lot guys for the quick help. I really need this to free up space from my hard disk. Well, i won't remove it because i use hibernation. Anyways Thanks for sharing this tricks.