Thread: Profile problems with my account in SBS2003

Profile problems with my account in SBS2003

I've just started as IT support technician in a company. I usually work with *NIX servers, this time I am working with windows servers, and not able to fix this issue. I've tried google, but didn't seem to help much.

I'm having the following error when I log in to my Domain controller which is SBS-2003.

"Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile will not be copied to the server when you logoff. Possible cause of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL: The system cannot find the path specified."

I'm member of Administrator group, and I should be having access to do everything. I'm having full access on everything else. There are other servers on this network, I never get this message when I log in to those servers, or even any work stations. I'm only having this error when I log in to my Domain Controller. As a result of this, I am not able to do a lot of things. Even if I save a file on desktop and try to retrieve it next time, it wont be there.

If someone can help me fix this issue, that would be great.

Re: Profile problems with my account in SBS2003

"Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile will not be copied to the server when you logoff. Possible cause of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
    3. In the details pane, double-click ProtectionMode, make sure that 1 appears in the Value Data box, and then click OK.
    4. Close Registry Editor.
    5. Restart the computer.

The system cannot find the path specified.

Use the Adsutil.vbs utility to determine the services that are configured in the metabase

To use the Adsutil.vbs utility to determine the services that are configured in the IIS metabase, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type Services.msc, and then click OK.
    2. In the Services snap-in, under Name, verify the IIS services that are installed on the computer.
    3. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    4. At the command prompt, type the following command, where HardDisk is the hard disk where IIS is installed:
    cd HardDisk\inetpub\adminscripts
    5. To verify that an IIS service is configured in the metabase, type the following command at the command prompt, where ServiceName is the IIS service that you want to verify in the IIS metabase:
    Adsutil.vbs enum ServiceName
    For example, to verify that the IIS metabase contains configuration information for the FTP Publishing Service, type Adsutil.vbs enum MSFTPSVC.

If you receive an error message that is similar to the following, the IIS service may not be installed correctly:
    The path requested could not be found.
    6. After you determine the configuration differences between the information that is stored in the metabase and the services that are running on the computer, install or remove services on the computer. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type Appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
    2. Double-click Add/Remove Windows Components.
    3. Double-click Internet Information Services (IIS).
    4. Click to select or click to clear the check boxes for the services that you want to configure, and then click Next.
    5. Follow the prompts on the screen to complete the Windows Components Wizard.

See this link for more help .

The reason behind the error message is there has been a slight change in your profile name on your system. By just changing some value in the registry of windows you can resolve the error. Run registry editor from Start Menu > Run > regedit. Navigate to the tree : HKEY_USER\Profiles. Double click on the profile to edit. Remove the " & " from the target profile and create without using " & ".

Dr. V Guest

In order to fixed the above issue follow the below steps mention.

1. Try to edit the logon script, so that the PRF doesn't run when the user tries to logs on.
    2. Then edit the registry, i order to prevent the changes on the default account.
    3. And finally configure SBS2003 to use the POP3 account's address as the default SMTP address and try to send all mail through the SBS server.

Hope so it may helps you to resolve the above issue.