Thread: Can't access "MY COMPUTER" after installing Xp Sp2

Can't access "MY COMPUTER" after installing Xp Sp2

Hello Friends,

Reecently i had installed Windows Xp SP2 on my pc. The problem is that after installing Windows Xp SP2 on my pc, i'm unable to access "MY COMPUTER" on my system. The flashlight search appears on the screen, but nothing seems to be happening on my pc. When i try to open Windows Explorer, i can only see my C drive, rest all the other drives seems to be missing on it. I'm also not able to access my cd, dvd or floppy drive on my pc. Can any body tell me that why i'm having such problem on my pc? What can i do in order to get rid of the above problem? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue.

Thanks.

Re: Can't access "MY COMPUTER" after installing Xp Sp2

Hey the best way to get rid of the above problem is to reinstall Windows Xp SP2 on your system. I think during the time of installation some thing went wrong on your pc, and that's why you are facing such problem on your system.

The problem may occur on your system, due to the following factors.

1. The Winsrv.dll file or the Basesrv.dll file in C:\Windows\System32 is missing or is not updated during the installation of SP2.

2. The update KB824141 was installed.

3. The system registry is corrupted.

In order to resolve the above issue, you need to uninstall SP2 from your system. Follow the below steps mention.

1. Firstly you need to disable any Anti-Virus programs and BIOS-level Anti-Virus protection.

2. Then make sure you have set your CD-ROM as your first priority boot device on your system.

3. Then, Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM and reboot your computer.

4. Afterwards, when you see "Press any key to boot from CD" on the screen, press a key to let your computer boot from the Windows XP CD.

5. Then, when the computer boots from the CD-ROM, it will check your hardware and then prompt you with the following options:
    • To set up Windows XP now, press Enter.
    • To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
    • To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

6. Then, Press the R key to start the Recovery Console.

7. If you have any dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.

8. Then it will prompt you,to type the Administrator password, and then press Enter.(If you didn't set a password, just leave it blank.)

9. And at the end of command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each line:

CD $NTServicePackUninstall$\SPUNINST

BATCH SPUNINST.TXT

EXIT
    10. Then after restarting the computer, if the system boots successfully, please go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Note: If the computer does not boot successfully after using spuninst.txt, please edit the registry in Safe Mode:

a. Restart your system.

B. Then keep on pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

C. Then, Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.
    (Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.)

d. Then type in "REGEDIT" and navigate to the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs

e. Then, On the right Pane, try to right click on "ObjectName" and click Modify, change the Value Data box to "LocalSystem", and then click OK.

11. Afterwards, Restart the system, then go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall "824141".

12. Finally, Restart the system again and try to reinstall Windows XP Service Pack 2 on your system.