Thread: Data Execution Prevention Error for Explorer.exe in Windows XP

Data Execution Prevention Error for Explorer.exe in Windows XP

Hey Guys!
    I have been using windows xp since the day one of my computer and it makes the total for 7 years. I never had any problems with my computer and Windows XP. I was always precautious about my computer and always used legit Antivirus software. But still some virus got infected to my computer and i had to format my computer and install Windows XP all over again. For a week everything was working fine. But lately i get errors when i Explore "My Computer" or open any folder i get "Data Prevention Execution Error" it tells me "Explorer caused this error and it needs to close explorer.exe" Then i need to start Explorer.exe by running new task is Task Manager. Any solution for this one? Please help Guys! This occurs every 2 minutes or so.. Its so frustrating...!

Re: Data Execution Prevention Error for Explorer.exe in Windows XP

Hey!
    Data Execution Prevention or DEP is a method by which Windows prevent malicious code to run at hardware level which may damage the functioning of Windows Operating System. May be your Windows XP is still infected by virus and explorer runs in a weird way which Windows feels is an attempt to hamper the OS functioning and hence DEP is triggered and explorer is closed. I suggest you to run a deep scan or complete scan from your antivirus on your computer which may detect any existing virus or malicious object on your computer. All the best!

Hey!
    I would suggest you to take backup of any existing data on your computer and format all the drives that exist on your computer. If necessary delete all partition and re-partition your disk. Install Windows XP again and Install the Antivirus software before installing any other softwares. Then update your windows and antivirus and then again scan your computer thoroughly. Then copy the backup to the computer and scan it with the antivirus. Delete the infected objects and then install other softwares. All the best!

Hey!
    Yeah this can only be caused by virus. Explorer.exe is a windows application file which is responsible for the GUI and it cannot be detected as a virus and cannot be stopped by DEP if it isn't infected. But DEP is occuring on your computer for explorer and you cannot stop it. But if you fell it is just a false positive, you can stop explorer causing DEP by the following way :
    • Right-Click on My Computer>Properties
    • Click on Advanced>Settings [Settings under Performance Section]
    • Click on Data Prevention Execution Tab
    • Select "Turn On DEP for all programs and services except those I select" option which is the second option
    • Then click on "Add.." button, browse and locate explorer.exe [c:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe]
    • Click on Apply then click Ok to save changes.

This should solve your problem. All the best!