Thread: To find MAC hardware address on Mac

To find MAC hardware address on Mac

hie friends,

Can somebody help me with hardware address or MAC address ? How can I find this address on my computer ? I have Apple's Macintosh.....

any ideas....

Re: To find MAC hardware address on Mac

A hardware address is a address that is used to identify the machine on the network so an IP address can be assigned to it by a server. It'is required for all IP requests. It is a unique identifier of a network interface card, the piece of electronics in a computer that the network cable is plugged into, usually using a jack on the back of the computer.

This address is built into most Macs, laptops and pinters. In many PCs, some Macs and laptops the NIC is an add-on card.

A hardware address is also called as MAC address - Media Access Control address. Also, physical address, ethernet id, network interface address, adapter address are all different names for a hardware address.

Every major hardware component of the computer has a unique address attached to it called as a hardware address. This hardware address is also known as a MAC address, which stands for Media Access Control address.
    This MAC address is normally assigned by the hardware's manufacturer, which is then used to identify the hardware when it connects to a network.

To find the hardware MAC address on your Mac system -

• Open a new Finder window by clicking on the icon in the dock.
    • Navigate to the "Utilities" folder. The "Utilities" folder is located in the "Applications" section of the Mac hard drive.
    • Double-click the "Network Utility" icon to open up the networking program.
    • Click on the "Info" tab in the upper left corner of the application window.
    • In the "Network Interface" drop-down menu, select the network adapter for which you wish to find the address. The MAC address of the adapter will then appear below.

In computer networking, a MAC address (Media Access Control address), EHA (Ethernet Hardware Address), hardware address, adapter address or physical address is a unique identifier assigned by the manufacturer to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) for identification.
    If this address is assigned by the manufacturer, it usually encodes the manufacturer's registered identification number.

A MAC address should not be confused with Mac (which is short term used for Apple's Macintosh).

A MAC address is represented in the form of -

XX XX XX XX XX XX
    or
    XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
    or
    XX.XX.XX.XX.XX.XX (using puntuation character)
    or
    XXXXXXXXXXXX (as a continous string)

where X is a hexadecimal number.

To find hardware address on your Apple Mac -

1. Open the Apple Talk control panel.
    2. Make sure that Ethernet is selected in the Connect Via drop-down menu.
      Note - On newer Macs without modem installed Ethernet will be the only option and there will be no drop-down menu.
    3. Go the File menu while the Apple Talk control panel is opened, and select Get Info.
    4. An Apple Talk info window will appear and the hardware address will be listed there.