Thread: Issue with Windows Media DRM in Xp SP2

sad Issue with Windows Media DRM in Xp SP2

Hey Guys,

I'm running Windows Xp SP2 on my system. The problem is that whenever i'm trying to stream any tv show from the online streaming website, it gives me an error stating that i have a DRM licensing issue. Does any one knows about this issue? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue.

Thanks a lot.

Re: Issue with Windows Media DRM in Xp SP2

Well, you can't have a working media center pc and not have a DRM folder, it is just marked as hidden. you will need to configure your folder view options to show hidden files. the folder you want is: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM .

In order for the DRM upgrade to complete sucessfully (or DRMclean), it must have exclusive access to the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\drmstore.hds file (i.e. no other application that uses DRM may be running).

Just follow the below steps mention.

1) go to: Start | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services

2) In Services, locate the 'Media Center Receiver Service' in the list

3) Right click this service and choose Properties

4) Set the startup type to 'Disabled' then click 'Stop' to stop the service (it is not enough to simply 'stop' this service because it will quickly auto restart itself, causing the DRM upgrade to fail)

5) optional step: check task manager 'Processes' tab to make sure ehrecvr.exe process is -not- listed (this is the service stopped above which keeps a lock on the drmstore.hds file when running)

6) NOW proceed with the rhapsody/DRM upgrade. Hopefully should complete successfully now.

7) After upgrade is complete, don't forget to return to the Services control panel and set the 'Media Center Receiver Service' startup type back to 'Automatic' and then 'Start' the process back up, else you're programs will not record.

It sounds like you needed to back up your licenses before you upgraded to a newer media player. Music downloaded from your music site will have inbuilt licenses to protect the music. Also, unless DRM is turned off in the WMP options, any music you copy from CD will also be protected. This should be turned off before copying from CD. You have the option to back up/restore licenses within WMP's options. When you installed wmp10, did you allow it to create a restore point so you can go back to WMP9? If so, maybe you can go back and back them up? If you go into WMP's help, type 'license' in the index search tab, it will tell you all about how to do it.

Uninstalling then reinstalling the Windows Media Player can help troubleshoot some Rhapsody problems. For example, if you have DRM problems with Rhapsody, the process of reinstalling Windows Media Player reconfigures the Windows DRM by creating a new DRM folder.

You will want to deauthorize Rhapsody before uninstalling it, otherwise the reinstall will use up one of the three available computer authorizations.

Step 1: Deauthorize Rhapsody.

1. Open Rhapsody.
    2. Go to Tools and select Deauthorize Computer. If it says Authorized, let it stay there.
    3. Close Rhapsody.

Step 2: Uninstall Windows Media Player 11.

Try this first if you have Windows Media Player 11. Not sure? Open Windows Media Player and click Help--> About Windows Media Player. If you are on Windows Media Player 10, please skip to Step 3.

1. Click the Windows Start button.
    2. Select Control Panel (or Settings, then Control Panel).
    3. Choose Add or Remove Programs.
    4. Click the Show updates check box.
    5. Select Windows Media Player 11 and click the Change/Remove button.
    6. Follow the prompts to uninstall Windows Media Player:

• When a window pops up saying "Windows Media Player 11 will be rolled back to the previous version that was on your computer. Do you want to continue?" click OK.
    • When the Windows Media Player 11 window asks, "You have chosen to roll back Windows Media Player 11 to the previous version that was on your computer. Other programs that require the Player may be affected, and you may need to remove and then install those programs again. Are you sure that you want to continue?" click OK.
    • When the Windows Media Rollback window asks, "Windows Media Player 11 rollback is complete. For your changes to take effect, you must restart Windows. Save your work and exit all programs, and then restart Windows," do what it says, then click the Restart button.
    • When the computer restarts open the Add/Remove programs in the control panel again. Look for Windows Media Format 11 runtime and remove it.

If uninstalling Windows Media Player 11 does not resolve your issue, try the instructions for uninstalling/reinstalling Windows Media Player 10 (next).

Step 3: Uninstall Windows Media Player 10.

1. Click the Windows Start button.
    2. Select Control Panel (or Settings, then Control Panel).
    3. Choose Add or Remove Programs.
    4. Click the Show updates check box.
    5. Select Windows Media Player 10 and click the Change/Remove button.
    6. Follow the prompts to uninstall Windows Media Player:

• When a window pops up saying "Windows Media Player 10 will be rolled back to the previous version that was on your computer. Do you want to continue?" click OK.
    • When the Windows Media Player 10 window asks, "You have chosen to roll back Windows Media Player 10 to the previous version that was on your computer. Other programs that require the Player may be affected, and you may need to remove and then install those programs again. Are you sure that you want to continue?" click OK.
    • When the Windows Media Rollback window asks, "Windows Media Player 10 rollback is complete. For your changes to take effect, you must restart Windows. Save your work and exit all programs, and then restart Windows," do what it says, then click the Restart button.

Step 4: Reinstall Windows Media Player and update its security components.

1. Once you have removed Windows Media Player, download the latest Windows Media Player 10 from www.microsoft.com/mediaplayer.

2. Next, run the Windows Media Security Component Upgrade (only for Windows XP and 2000)
    NOTE: Do not perform the following steps if you have Windows 98 or Me.

Go to http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/...en/indivit.asp for a Security Component Upgrade. Click the Upgrade button and follow the on-screen instructions. Restart your computer.

sad Re: Issue with Windows Media DRM in Xp SP2

I've seen similar advice in many forums about finally doing a security component upgrade here:
    to http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/...en/indivit.asp

The problem is that this link instantly crashes the browser in IE. I even uninstalled IE 6 and reinstalled brand new IE 8, and, same problem.

In Firefox, the problem is a little different: the page does not crash, but it has a greyed-out "Upgrade" button.

In either case, I am stuck. Cannot upgrade. I have seen several others in different forums make the *same* complaints (crashing out a greyed out button) but I have not seen anyone having found a solution.