Thread: Install Windows 7 with VMWare WorkStation

Install Windows 7 with VMWare WorkStation

Hi,
    It it possible to install Windows 7 with VMWare WorkStation. I heard that somebody enable Aero Glass on VMWARE, do you know how do that? with XP there is no problem. I’m running 32-bit Win7 and don’t have an x64 machine that I can try it on at the moment.

Thank you
    IF you hate me, please don't mention it. I know who hates me and who doesn't. You really do not have to make fun of people....

Re: Install Windows 7 with VMWare WorkStation

I am using VMware Player on Windows 7 Build 6801. The guest OS is Windows XP SP2. On the host Windows 7 machine, open Network Connections. Right-click the network adapter that goes to the Internet and click Properties. Click the Sharing tab. Check the "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" box. In the "Home networking connection" box, select the VMware NAT adapter--on my machine with two physical NICs, it was "Local Area Connection 4". This will reset your IP to 192.168.0.1 -- you will need to readjust your home router to allow your machine to have that address. I added a second router just for the Windows 7 machine.

Start the VM. Don't use DHCP--assign the VM's virtual network adapter a manual address of 192.168.0.5. That's it--my guest machine is on the Internet!

The experimental support means that it is not fully supported since Windows 7 has not been released and there could be code changes made to Windows 7 that may affect the ability to run in a virtual machine with this release. WorkStation 6.5.2 was tested with the current beta build of Windows 7 and may have some limitations. Windows 7 should be fully supported in a future release of VMware Workstation.

You can install Windows 7 in VMWare Workstation 5. follow the steps given below.

1. Upgrade to the latest version of VMWare Workstation 5. At the time of writing it's 5.5.9.
    2. Create a new virtual machine from the File menu. Choose "Windows Vista (experimental)" or "Windows Vista x64 Edition (experimental)". If you don't choose any of the Vista options, you will not be able to install VMWare Tools. Without VMWare Tools you will not get your network up and running.
    3. When you've created the virtual machine, configure the CD-ROM to use the Windows 7 .ISO file.
    4. Start the virtual machine and install Windows 7.
    5. Install VMWare Tools.
    6. Done.