Thread: DVD drive not detected by Windows Vista

DVD drive not detected by Windows Vista

hello friends,

I have a problem with my Windows Vista operating system. Whenever, I insert a CD or DVD in my DVD drive, the system accepts the CD/DVD easily but is unable to detect it. I don't see a small disk-icon above the cursor which usually Windows does while loading. I cannot play or access any CD because of this
    What can be the reason ? and how do I solve this ? any ideas..... please help

Re: DVD drive not detected by Windows Vista

To this to fix the problem -

Click Start, click Computer, and then see whether the drive is listed.

If the drive is listed,
    --- try to play or access a CD or DVD ---
    • If you can play or access a CD or DVD, then your are problem is solved.
    • If you cannot play or access a CD or DVD, you may have to reinstall some programs. Some programs might not be able to use your CD or DVD drive until you reinstall those programs. If the problem occurs again when you install or uninstall those programs, contact the manufacturer of the program to see if an update is available that solves the problem.

Some examples of programs that might be affected are:
    • - iTunes software by Apple
      - Nero software by Nero Inc
      - Roxio Creator software by Sonic Solutions
      - Zune software by Microsoft

After reinstalling your programs, if you can play or access a CD or DVD, then your problem is solved.....

If the drive is not listed - remove and reinstall the existing drivers.

To remove and reinstall the existing drivers, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click System and Maintenance, click System, and then click Device Manager.

Note -
      If Control Panel is in Classic View, double-click System, and then click Device Manager.
      If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

3. In Device Manager, expland DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the CD and DVD devices, and then click Uninstall.
    4. When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, click OK.
    5. Restart the computer.
    6. After the computer restarts, the drivers will be automatically installed.

You can use Device Manager to reinstall the drive and to find if Windows is able to recognize the drive, as follows -

NOTE: Whenever a User Account Control window opens, click Continue.

• Click Start , and enter "device manager " into the Start Search field.
    • Click the plus sign ( + ) next to DVD/CD-ROM Drives .
    • Select the drive name, click the uninstall button, and wait about five seconds.
      The drive name should be removed from the list (and the DVD/CD-ROM drives category will also be removed if there is only one CD/DVD drive).
    • Click Action , select Scan for Hardware changes , and then wait for Windows to find and install the CD/DVD drive.
    • When done, the drive name should appear in a Windows message and in Device Manager.

I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

Step 1
    =====

If you have any third-party CD/DVD-burning software such as Nero or Roxio installed, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Step 2 : Delete Filter Drivers
    =====================

1. Click Start, type “regedit” (without the inverted commas) and press ENTER.
    2. Navigate to the following key:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Cur​rentControlSet\Control\Class​\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type “Backup” in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named Backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the Backup.reg file.
    4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane and then check if Upperfilters and/or Lowerfilters are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.
    5. Restart the computer.

Step 3 : Reinstall the DVDRW drive
    =========================

1. Click Start, type “devmgmt.msc” and press Enter.

2. Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives.

3. Right-click the DVDRW drive and click Uninstall. Restart the computer.

I've followed every suggestion I can find to repair this issue on my computer as well...the conflict I'm encountering is that the majority of solutions lead me to the window opened after entering "devmgmt.msc" in the start menu and then proceed to tell me to open the "DVD/CD-ROM drives"...I do not have this listed on that menu?

I have the same issue. My problem is after experiencing a shut down from overheat protection, my computer rebooted (after I changed the dead fan out) and now my DVD burner is not recognized in my computer. The kicker is this, no cd/dvd devices show up in device manager. I am guessing I need to manually delete the registry keys and reboot. The question is, how? I am very computer literate but I do not like messing with the registry as I don't fully know what I am doing there.

Have you checked if the cables are properly connected or not? It is possible that while taking out the fan, the IDE cable or the power cable to the CD/dvd rom must have become loose and hence the device is not getting detected. Redo the connections and then check if the device is detected by the computer or not.

All connections are in order. Naturally, I checked the 'duh' things first. I had this happen on a desktop I built 5 years ago and after a year, still couldn't get it to work. I tried purchasing new drives, a PCI ATA controller because I thought my onboard controller went out.

This has to be either an issue with microsoft or a 3rd party program adding filters or some BS which causes Vista and other MS OS's to loose the drive. Now my father in-law is having the same issue's with his Toshiba laptop, og which still, I can not fix

orten999 Guest

What it fixes...

* Your CD or DVD Drive does not read or write and is shown as disabled
    * The media in your CD or DVD drive cannot be read
    * The media cannot be written to by your CD or DVD drive
    * You receive one of the following errors:
    o A class specific or device specific driver is missing or corrupt
    o A CD or DVD drive cannot be found or is not connected
    o The CD or DVD drive is experiencing a problem that prevents it from working properly
    o The CD or DVD drive is not accessible via an assigned drive letter

after i restart my computer i try to find the dvd/cd-rom drive, but they are not listed. what else could i do ?

but they are not listed
    Where have you checked it? My Computer or Device Management? Make sure if it is listed in both the places. Also check out the master/slave jumpers and also the cable connections.

DVD drive not detected by Windows Vista

Hi,
    I use HP Elitebook8530w. My CD/DVD drive is not detected in my Vista OS. I deleted the registry (lower and uper fileters) But still it is not being detected.
    Also one more issue. When I attempt to enter the BIOS it prompts for a password, which I dont know. How do I by pass it.
    Thanks for the help!!
    Murali S