Thread: repair vista with recovery cd

repair vista with recovery cd

hello,
    I have no viruses or trojans, but it seems that my Vista is sick ....... I cannot update nor download from microsoft or restore to an earlier date. So I wonder if I can put a recovery DVD to try to repair ..... as I do not want to format as I dont have the Vista CD with me. Thank you in advance for any replies.
    Totally Clueless! (Well, almost!)

Re: repair vista with recovery cd

Several things can cause this. Check the contents of the Hosts file or if an address is in this file that would block the site.
    Also check if the Windows Update service is automatic. Then with this HijackThis and other software can check if registry key does not block Microsoft.

Or borrow a Windows VISTA Premium disc to run the repair.
    Or use another hard drive in a USB external enclosure to copy all your data, then use the ASUS disk to wipe and restore the Windows VISTA system, then rescue the data from the USB external enclosure.
    It is easier to buy a new hard drive, if your data is valuable. Install the new hard drive, then resuce the data from the problem drive... because finding some files are difficult unless you know where the data is stored.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

Make a Windows Vista Repair Disk If You Don't Have One
    If you bought your computer with Windows Vista pre-installed, you most likely don't have a regular Windows Vista repair disc. What you do have is some crappy disc from the manufacturer that totally wipes your computer back to factory settings. What if you just want to run Startup repair off the Vista install cd without losing all your settings?

It turns out that Microsoft is going to let you create your own Vista repair disc when Service Pack 1 comes out in a month or so. If you can't wait that long, the nice people over at Neosmart have created their own Vista Repair Disc available for download.

The file is an ISO image file… if you are familiar then skip to the link, otherwise we've also got instructions on how to create a CD from the ISO file.

Burn Vista Recovery Disc ISO to CD

You may already have a tool to do this such as Nero, but the best tool available for burning ISOs is ImgBurn, a freeware utility that does nothing else but burn ISO images, and it does it well.

Open up ImgBurn, and then click on the "Browse for a file" button, selecting the file you downloaded from Neosmart.

Put a blank CD into the drive, and then click the big Write button.

That's about all there is to it… you now have your very own Vista Recovery CD.

Source: howtogeek