Thread: Changing Volume Label in windows xp

Changing Volume Label in windows xp

hi,
    There are no C language functions or C run-time functions to determine whether or not a drive is a RAM drive.i can't able to change the volume label of the system drive to F but it won't allow me.i have installed windows xp.Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Changing Volume Label in windows xp

You'll have to reinstall because windows will already have assigned I: all over the place in the registry. Before reinstalling, use the control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk management control panel to remove the drive letter c: from whatever is currently assigned to c:. You can also change it to another drive letter. Then reinstall.

You can also unplug all other hard drives from the computer before reinstalling.You'll have to reformat the drive in the setup tools when you are reinstalling XP. Alternatively you can delete and recreate the partition. Be careful not to delete any data!

Windows XP will always go after the "next available drive letter", and it will try to determine what drives are already in the system. The trick is to make sure the next available drive letter is "c" by either making sure there is no "c" already or by making the drive the only one in the system.

• Double click on the My Computer icon on your Desktop until it opens.
    • Then gently click on the drive you want to name just enough until it becomes highlighted.
    • Note: If you are naming a floppy disk, then you must have your floppy in your disk drive.
    • Then click on the word File, which is contained in your top tool bar area.
    • This will pull down a menu for you to now click on Properties.
    • In the Label: box, type a name for the drive up to 11 characters in length.
    • Note: If the drive already contains a name simply over type a new name in the Label: box.
    • Then click on the OK button to save your changes and exit the Properties Window.
    • Then close the My Computer Window to return back to your Windows session.

Open Explorer
    Right click on the drive in question Under the General Tab note volume label,If it makes it easier...create a name like "OK".Then repeat the conversion....it'll take place after a restart.