Thread: Can i set the password for BIOS

idea Can i set the password for BIOS

Hello Friends,

I would like to know that how do i set password for BIOS. Does any body knows how can i set the password for BIOS? Kindly suggest me the correct logical solution for setting up the password for BIOS. Any kind of information or help would be appreciated.

Thanks you.

Re: Can i set the password for BIOS

Just follow the below steps mention.

1. As soon as you start your pc press 'del' or 'Esc' continuously and you'll find the bios screen.

2. When you spot the bios screen go to the security section. In security section there are two option of setting password.
    • 1. Admin Password :- You can't del this password in bios without knowing the password(only for advanced users)
    • 2. User Password :- You can delete this password from bios even if you don't know the password.

3. To set admin pass word write the password in the space provided confirm it again save and exit.

4. To set the user pass give the old pass if enabled or write the new password in the space provided confirm it save and exit and your password is saves now no one can start your pc without the password.

To enter the BIOS setup program, sometimes called CMOS setup:

Turn on or reboot your computer. The screen will display a series of diagnostics and a memory check. A message like "Hit the <DEL> key to enter the BIOS setup program" will appear. When you do hit DEL at the right time[1] you'll see a menu screen.

Note: Some BIOS versions use a graphical type menu with icons (a GUI) or have a text interface that appears differt to the one shown, the principle however is exactly the same. As you can see there are two options that relate to passwords, Supervisor Password and User Password, these relate to controlling access to the BIOS Setup Program and the Machine Boot respectively.

Note that not all BIOS's have this password feature, your bios may not have it in which case you won't be able to restrict access to your computer in this way.

Select USER PASSWORD and you'll be prompted to enter a password:
    You should now enter a password of up to eight characters (most BIOS's are limited to eight characters unfortunately). I recommend you use the full eight but take care that you choose something you'll not forget, for help choosing passwords. The BIOS will then prompt you to confirm the password, just type the same thing again. Now you'll want to set your system to ask for that password every time it boots, so select the BIOS FEATURES SETUP option, to see a menu something like this:

Fairly obviously, it's the Password Check option we're interested in, so select it and change the setting to ALWAYS. Now navigate back to the main menu and select SAVE & EXIT SETUP. Your machine will then reboot and you'll be prompted for the password. Each and every time you boot you'll be asked for password you chose. Please note that this method of restricting access to your computer is not completely foolproof, there are ways around it. But it will stop or at least delay the majority of casual attempts to get access.

If you forget your BIOS password, consult your motherboard manual or if you don't have one, consult the website of the BIOS manufacturer.

There are several reasons why you may need to reset a BIOS password:

• You set a configuration password several years ago and now you have to make some hardware configuration tweaks or change the boot order of your drives. Conveniently, you can't remember the password you used.
    • Your boss brought you her computer from home that her eight-year-old stepson mischievously locked her out of by setting a power-on password.
    • You inherited a new set of computers and the previous administrator set BIOS configuration passwords so you can't enable/disable your built-in wireless or wired network cards.
    • A malicious person set a password on a physically insecure server or laptop, and now it won't boot.

Regardless of why your BIOS password was set, there's likely a workaround. Some fixes are free while others you'll have to pay for. Some fixes are simple while others require you to be mechanically inclined. It'll very well cost you time and/or money, but it's hard to put a price on a non-functioning computer, especially if it means your efforts could be better spent elsewhere.