Thread: How to Install Archos 5 and Archos 7 OS Firmware

How to Install Archos 5 and Archos 7 OS Firmware

Firmware is another name for Operating System (OS) or System Software. Below, you will find the instructions and the latest software to update your specific ARCHOS device. You do not have to install all the updates, only the most recent one. Each update takes into account all the previous updates unless specified otherwise.

Gen 5 Wifi Devices:
    If you have an Archos WiFi device connected to the Internet, you can update your device directly by going to menu>Firmware & Plug-ins>Online Firmware Update. Press OK and then follow the on-screen instructions.

Other Devices:

Step 1. Download the firmware to your computer
    When you download the update file, your browser may warn you that the file 'could be harmful'. This is normal because browsers are not familiar with files that have a .AOS extension and suspect that they could be malicious. These files are not harmful to your computer.

Step 2. Turn on your ARCHOS device and connect it to your computer with the USB cable

Step 3. Wait a few seconds for device detection

Step 4. Copy and paste the downloaded firmware (.AOS file) to the "root" of your ARCHOS device.
    • Case 1: Your Archos is detected by your computer as a Hard Drive ( E: for example ) in Windows Explorer. Paste the update file directly onto the ARCHOS hard drive icon.
    • Case 2: Your Archos device is detected as a ‘Device’ in Windows Explorer (not as a hard drive) and you see just two folders Data and Media when you open it. Paste the update file into the folder called Data.
    • Case 3. Your Archos device is detected as a ‘Device’ in Windows Explorer (not as a hard drive) and you see Internal Hard Drive when you open it. Open this Internal Hard Drive icon and you will see the various Archos folders inside (Video, Music, etc.). Paste the update file into this area but be careful not to paste it into any of the folders there.

Step 5. Disconnect the Device
    Unplug the USB cable (Windows Device connections) or use the "safe disconnect" green arrow icon (Hard drive connection) in the system tray before unplugging the USB cable.

Step 6. On your ARCHOS device, click on "Update Firmware"
    Generation 5 products: Once you disconnect the USB cable, the device will recognize the new update file and invite you to install it. Follow the on-screen instructions. If it does not suggest an update, this means that the .AOS file did not get placed on the “Root” of the device.

Generation 4 products: From the main ARCHOS screen, click on the "tab" button to show the settings screen. Select the System icon and then click on the Update Firmware button.

Other products: Go to the settings and open the icon “System” where you can find the Update Firmware button.

Download Archos 5 and Archos 7 OS v 1.6.03 (58463Kb)

Download Archos 5 and Archos 7 OS v 1.5.08 (58447Kb)

Note: In all cases, your new .aos file must not be in a folder within the Archos device. The ARCHOS expects to find the update file on the “root” of the device. You can verify this by using the file browser on the device.

Re: How to Install Archos 5 and Archos 7 OS Firmware

Hello , First of all I Would like to thank you For Providing this tutorial and also i have a liitke problem First is that My ARCHOS displays “Error Code 207.” What should I do? When i try to Attempt the Firmware Update please Thank in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
    Hello , First of all I Would like to thank you For Providing this tutorial and also i have a liitke problem First is that My ARCHOS displays “Error Code 207.” What should I do? When i try to Attempt the Firmware Update please Thank in advance
    This error occurs when one attempts to install an incompatible firmware.For example, a firmware for the ARCHOS 605 was being installed on an ARCHOS 5. Go to your customer account (or create one if you don’t have one yet) where you can find the latest update software (firmware) for your particular ARCHOS product (Manage Products > Support > Firmware).

My archos has a 103 recovery code, and I downloaded the firmware, but the archos isn't detected by my computer, so I can't install it, what should I do?

ARCHOS drivers are needed for computer softwares used by Windows operating system to recognize and communicate with a device connected to it. it allows access to several ARCHOS peripherals to be connected to computer. you can download it from here

I also had a similar problem on my Archos with different recovery code. I solved it by using an Nokia's N95 data cable - Put the Archos in the
    driver and connect nokia cable to your system and then connect small USB slot at the side of Archos driver station.

sad Re: How to Install Archos 5 and Archos 7 OS Firmware

Quote Originally Posted by MrChris- View Post
    ARCHOS drivers are needed for computer softwares used by Windows operating system to recognize and communicate with a device connected to it. it allows access to several ARCHOS peripherals to be connected to computer. you can download it from here
    Hi,
    This is my first time with Linux and Android. I spent several days monkeying around with a new Archos 5 250Gb (the one without Android) trying to hack it up in order to be able to use apps and have it open to more options.

Not being successful and having the option in the device I decided to format the disk to install the firmware version 1.6.54.

Now, the device is giving me always a white screen that says:

Archos G6H Recovery (code 101)
    Would you like to recover your system?
    No
    Repair disk
    Format disk
    Force Touchscreen Calibration

I tried all the options getting always the same white screen.

Trying to install the firmware again or at least to have the device working again, I searched the web finding this post in this forum.

When I connect the device to the USB of the PC I can't see it in Windows XP. I tried to install the USB drivers mentioned here on my PC but when I click on the EXE files nothing happens.

What can I do?

Thank you in anticipation

unsure Re: How to Install Archos 5 and Archos 7 OS Firmware

Ok guys, this is the situation: Now I can see the Archos 5 connecting it to the USB on my PC that uses Windows XP. The good news is I can see it with its own letter (before it used to appear just as Archos).

I copied and pasted on the root sector of the device, the file firmware_archos5-7.aos and nothing happened. I still have the white screen saying:

Archos G6H Recovery (code 101)
    Would you like to recover your system?
    No
    Repair disk
    Format disk
    Force Touchscreen Calibration

I didnt do anything else, just copying and pasting firmware_archos5-7.aos and then restarting the device.

At this point can I install a different firmware? Like Windows or Android? (This archos didn't come with Android)

Sorry for such long posts, I am just very confused and I dont want to forget a detail of what is happening in order to get your help guys

I have the same problem "code 101" its saying have you fixed yours yet??

For that you might need to first get appropriate firmware for Archos. Then just connect and run the recovery console. Choose the repair option and then leave the same for some while. Once finish with that you can choose the firmware file from your system and choose it.

I recently replaced the hard drive on my archos 705 (After I fried the other one) now am trying to install the OS (firmware 2.1) but after it updates it keeps bringing me back to the usb & format disk menu, is there a way it can fix this?

sad Re: How to Install Archos 5 and Archos 7 OS Firmware

hay guys.recently ma archos 5 it had a problem to boot up.i wayted for hrs but it didnt boot up it stayd on the "Android " logo.Then a friend told me to go into the boot menu and format my archos.Now i dont have an OS only the boot menu.please help me!

Hi i am new on here and have an Archos 7 internet media tablet 160gb.
    I had problems with Adobe 9 not being able to update to adobe 10, (any video's on web sites would not play).
    here is my solution did a factory reset and installed firmware from my computer but before i installed the new firmware(1.7.22) right click and go to properties then previous versions wait for them to show and restored version1.7.17(WMDRMPD:10.1) ,drag and dropped this in Archos (PC hard Drive Mode).
    Now i can view on line TV and Youtube.