Thread: At XP Installation, Cannot copy file...

At XP Installation, Cannot copy file...

Hello,
    I tried to reinstall win XP pro after formatting completely but at the beginning of the file copy, I see this:
    "The installation could not copy <file_name>"
    - Autochk.exe
    - Browser.dll
    - Driver.cab

There are about thirty of these file extentions above.

I cannot understand where is this problem arising from. Can someone help me and tell me what to do?
    Thank you in advance.

Re: At XP Installation, Cannot copy file...

I have had the same problem on any pc with an LG Electronics drive (cd/rw,cd,dvd rom). I thought I got a bad bunch of bad cd's or a couple of defective drives but when put in my Compaq workstation(poineer DVD rom) they read fine. If you make a copy of the original cd (or just the i386 folder)and install from that there is no problem. The age range on these drives was 1-3 years old if anyone has any idea why this is please send me and email - also i'd love to know if thers a fix for it(heh other than buying a new drive). - note: firmware upgrade didn't help.

Power management options disabled in the BIOS have made Windows XP fail to install?
    http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/Tips.htm
    http://www.pcmech.com/bios.htm
    http://www.pcmech.com/show/bios/22/
    You may have turned off the power management options in the BIOS because they were problematic, or you were advised to because they are not necessary on a desktop PC, but Windows XP requires them to be enabled or it will lock up during the installation process. The system will keep locking up at the Windows Setup screen. Just the blue screen will show - there will be no error messages, or any other kind of feedback. So, if you are having an installation problem of this kind, change the BIOS settings for ACPI Aware OS to Yes, and Power Management to "Enabled".
    Moreover, if you are having problems shutting down Windows XP, or if it suspends indefinitely without turning off, use the right mouse button to click your Desktop, select Properties, click the Screen Saver tab, click the Power button,
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

The copy of windows xp is bad.

I had that several times, different files. Just try retry, or skip if you are desperate, just be prepared for some weirdness later, if it completes the boot.

I never solved my problem, I just ended up not using my disk (a slipstream) and using orginal media and SP2'ing after.

It also sounds like your problem is either the disk or the cdrom reading it, or the combination. But I had a similar situation and after trying a new cdrw, many differeint combinations of memory, I finally solved the problem by repalcing the cpu, coincidentally a K62 450 which had been heat stressed by a botched hsf installation.

I had the same problem. I reformated the hardware drive and it resolved.