Thread: Cannot open Office Files in Samba

Cannot open Office Files in Samba

Hello,
    I Have just done some research on the net but without results. My problem is as follows: I just installed my little debian to a file server. So installing samba, creation of users, passwords ... so far so good. I see my files, I can create, move, delete, but ... yes there must be a "but" ... I can not open my Microsoft Office files, not even with open office. Other types of files are no problem.but i cannot open this files please help thanks in advance

Dr. V Guest

Re: Cannot open Office Files in Samba

It's a known bug. Funnily, OpenOffice relied on a bug with network drives that MS had implemented but Samba didn't. A more recent version of OO should solve the problem.

Hello,

I believe that Samba and most applications must be mapped with shared mount cifs to open the files. ie integrate sharing his tree in Linux. As either Nautilus or Konqueror, I think it plays in the protocol that is used by explorer to access a file modification (write). I may be wrong of course! In any case in particular for openoffice files, and video. You should also look at the side of ACL Access Control List "and SAMBA ACL. I think that the rights change when a change is attempted. Something that would be possible:

Do chmod g + s Filename then in the smb.conf file add these two lines to the shares in question:

force create mode = 0660
    force directory mode = 0770

Security Tip
    If you want just your lan access your SAMBA shares you should add this Only those from the beach on the LAN:

hosts allow = 192.168.

Like this you will be safe if a hacker enters your LAN, they will not have access to these shares. And share it with everybody in the network without authentication when you met:

security = share

Instead of user.

Hello , These are known problems that should be fixed with OOo 3.0.1, due for release in a few days. You may also need to change some settings in your Samba server configuration, but I can't tell you in detail what changes need to be made. You can try a search on office site (upper right corner of this page) for "samba" or "veto" to get some ideas.